IGNORED

Seat upgrade -350z seats

madkaw

Steve,

I went with the 11 inch rigid sleeve, too. It comes up to the right height for a re-upholstered seat.

I've had the roadster belts in my 260Z for over 6 years. I installed the WELR belts in the 240Z 10 or 11 years ago. Between the two, the roadster belts work better, especially for the Z cars that don't have the pocket in the floor. 

Edit: I forgot that in the past I suggested buying the extra hardware kit. I used some pieces from it to make the installation go more smoothly.

Edited by SteveJ

1 minute ago, madkaw said:

The 8" belt is just for my 350z seat application. The belt attaches to the seat frame. A lot higher than floor mounted. Probably could have used a 6" belt. Have new sets on the way.

When you put it that way, it makes a lot more sense. ;)

4 hours ago, madkaw said:

The 8" belt is just for my 350z seat application. The belt attaches to the seat frame. A lot higher than floor mounted. Probably could have used a 6" belt. Have new sets on the way.

I haven't installed my 350z seats yet, you just saved me a big screw up, I would have ordered the 12" hasp like I did last time. Your right, a 6" would be more then enough if using the seat itself for the anchor point, too bad they don't offer one. I wonder if an auto upholsterer would have a sewing machine and thread that would be right for shortening that piece of seat belt?

Might wait to see how my 8" er  works out before you go to 6" -sounds :-0

I fought with the drivers seat today. Second seat is going faster but still having obstacles . Power recline adds linkage in the wrong place for fitment. The linkage hits the seat rail bulkhead , see pic.

I removed the seat cushion for most of work on the drivers side. It makes seeing things much easier, but the seat cushion has all the controls attached to it, so you have to plug all the connectors back in the check your work every time. 

Well some of my pics are not loading, 

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So I have my Wesco belts mounted. Is it normal to have a twist in the belt or did they mount the male connector upside down. I can't get this twist out unless the retract mechanism is put on upside down- which can't be done. 

Well once again I can't upload from my phone. The twist is right by the retractor and the belt DOES lay flat across my chest. 

That twist seems to be typical on retractors for some reason. Simple fix is to pull the belt out to its limit on the retractor and then feed it back in with the twist corrected. It usually takes a little fussing to get the twisted part to load because it's doubled over but can be done -- the closer to the retractor end of the belt the better.

Madkaw - You might want to reconsider mounting the seat belts to the seats. The original seat mounts were never designed to withstand the seat belt loads resulting from a front end collision. Originally, the belts were mounted directly to the cars structure. During an accident, the belts hold your accelerating body back, while the seat and mounts do not have to withstand significant loading, at least for a front end collision.   

When I installed S2000 seats in my 240z, these seats also had the seat belts mounted to the seats. After thinking it through, I decided to use the original seat belt mounts.

I was going to mention the same thing about the seat belt anchor positions. On the original configuration, the seat rails and mounting locations don't have to handle much force in a front end collision. But if you move the belt anchor to the seat itself, you have changed all that. I'm sure the Z's are terrible in accidents by todays standards, but you could still make matters even worse.