IGNORED

New owner of '77 280z from Upstate SC

the_tool_man

10 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I think I'd tap it to the next size.

I don't think there's room for a larger screw in the injector base and retaining plate. And if I drill them out, I don't think there's room for a larger screw head. Before I went bigger, I'd at least try a helicoil. If the group thinks that isn't good enough,  I'd next consider redrilling and tapping both holes, rotating the injector. I need to pull this injector and see what happened, I guess. But that probably won't happen today. I've got an Easter egg hunt to run.

I would go with a helicoil or something similar. I have seen a system that uses a threaded tube and knurling on the outside. It comes with a special drill and fitting tool to tap it in. You see them often in plastic parts.

I was meaning ramps, I meant wooden blocks out of layers of multiplex and front and back stops so the car won't roll off. Then jack the car up to fit them under the wheels.

• Like 1

I've used Keenserts, which are a solid insert with threads inside and out.  Once installed, they have small keys that are driven in to lock them in place.  I've used them in plastic parts before.  But they require quite a bit more material removal than a helicoil.  I would consider them a last resort...well maybe second-to-last.  Last resort would be to weld the hole and start over.

As far as drilling it straight, I'm doing the best I can.  But the EGR junk on the intake is partially in the way.  I tried removing it, but I can't get the pipe connection to the intake manifold to break loose.  Given the way things are going, the EGR stuff looks like another layer to the onion.  So I'm working around it.

I think long term, I'm going to look for an early FI manifold without the EGR stuff, and assemble it with an aftermarket rail and no emissions junk.  At some point, I'll install a header and exhaust.  When that day comes, I'll swap intakes.

Is the hole just wollard out and the screw won't get a grip?  If that's the case you should be able to find some kind of screw that would get a hold and tighten down.  Those intakes are soft aluminum.  A small lag screw? something just to get by so you can move on to bigger things.  Nobody will know but you. :D 

Finally, a little good luck to offset the bad.  I was talking to one of the guys at work about having to helicoil the hole in the intake.  He lent me a nice kit to do it.  That saved me from having to order a kit of my own, which I would (hopefully) only use once.  And I grabbed a block of aluminum out of the scrap metal bin to practice with.  Stay tuned.

Yeah.  The Pallnet rail options are super clean.  I've gotten a lot of inspiration from wheee! and others.  Lest I forget to say it often enough, you guys rock!

Edited by the_tool_man
  • Like 3

Good deal!  That's why I was suggesting other ways.  Now you can get a car cover.  Don't give up on the '77, I love mine and I think, from reading on here for five years, there's more information on a '77 than any other 280.  Just a coincidence I suppose.

Here's mine without the Rewinds.  Just like high school. :) 

SDC10695.thumb.JPG.aac49436861862753cab8

• Like 2