IGNORED

Differential front mount insulator for a 1970 S1 240Z - NLA?

Namerow

Dan,

Please see these pictures. I think cross member is original 55411-E4100 because an earliest muffler hanger is used on the member,

and do not see any obstraction by the mounting insulator 55415-E8300/01.

I want to know what is a difference between the two cross members, shape ? or no- muffler hanger welded nut?

3rd picture is my 12/1971 Orange 240Z, this shows how an E8300/01 should be installed correctly.

4th picture is my 01/1970 Z432, cross member is 55411-E4100, it has two welded nut , right one is for the hanger of dual exhaust system

standard for Z432, an optional for Z, Z-L . 

Kats    

IMG_4149.JPG

detailfainal 019.jpg

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4585.JPG

Here's another photo that I forgot to post yesterday that illustrates in pretty dramatic fashion how this insulator can collapse with age.  Not surprising, given that the cross-section of the rubber core necks down to what looks like only 1/8" in width...

S30 Differential - Front Mount Insulator - New vs Collapsed.jpg

(As before, my apologies for not being able to credit the owner of this photo.)

If you go back and look at Photos #1 and #2 of my earlier post, you can see how the later-style insulator's design changed so as to significantly increase the width-wise dimension of the rubber block at the front.  Perhaps this was an effort to reduce the insulator's vertical compliance.

The crest built into the top of the rubber block indicates that insulator was obviously designed to bottom out.  Still, it doesn't look like you'll be doing this insulator any favours, long term, if you use the diff casing as your rear jacking point.

@HardwayOn a related point, Hardway's recent post in which he stuffed coolant hose into the insulator opening to (successfully) cure a diff 'clunk' issue suggests that his front insulator is now operating in a permanently bottomed-out condition.  Waiting to hear whether he reports any significant increase in gear noise coming into the cabin as a result.  If he doesn't, then that 'stuffing' fix may make replacement of a collapsed front insulator a non-issue.

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2017 at 6:38 PM, kats said:

Pictures from the service manual,

Second picture, you can see the new muffler hanger , new curved rear cross member, and the mounting insulator 55415-E8300.

Kats

IMG_2745.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

IMG_2746.PNG

Kats, I have finally found all of the necessary parts for my differential relocation, and wanted to again 

thank you for helping me find a NOS diff. insulator.  

below, I wanted to include a picture of my restored mustache bar as I have, again, taken a lesson 

from you on how this should be done.

Thanks again, Kats.

A54EBDEF-B9CE-48DC-ACFC-0A2E658DC60D.jpeg

BC83EA66-B36B-442B-88F3-7FAE5E9355CF.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...