IGNORED

Differential front mount insulator for a 1970 S1 240Z - NLA?

Namerow

I noticed today that MSA has begin to offer refurbished differential hanger brackets on an exchange basis.  In their write-up on these new parts, they discuss applications in relation to solving the differential 'clunk' problem and emphasize that Series 1 owners will need to install the Series 2 differential hanger parts and moustache bar in order to be able to use the Series 2 front insulator (I believe that this is because the arrestor strap won't fit otherwise). 

This made me curious, so I started to look around some of the commonly-used parts vendors' websites to see if anyone was offering the Nissan Series 1 part (PN 55415-E4102, for reference).  A quick look turned up 'not available' at Rock Auto and Chesapeake Nissan.  Z-Car Source of Arizona offers only used units, and only on special order.  Courtesy Nissan lists the part and a price, but that doesn't mean they have it or can get it (I haven't asked them yet).  MSA lists it, but warns that it "...has been discontinued by Nissan or another manufacturer, and we are currently in the process of locating an alternate supplier or having the item reproduced"

So:  Is a new OE Series 1 diff mount/insulator definitely NLA ?  If so, are there any known aftermarket options?

I noticed today that MSA has begin to offer refurbished differential hanger brackets on an exchange basis.  In their write-up on these new parts, they discuss applications in relation to solving the differential 'clunk' problem and emphasize that Series 1 owners will need to install the Series 2 differential hanger parts and moustache bar in order to be able to use the Series 2 front insulator (I believe that this is because the arrestor strap won't fit otherwise). 

Edit - I was looking at the wrong part.

Here's the link.  Not good that they're running out.  We should all start hoarding.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/23-4614R

Edit 2 - also realized that they are charging $149.95 for a sand blast and paint on some pretty small parts.  Seems excessive.

Edit 3 - An AFM, with a core sent in, costs $169.95.  For reference.

Edited by Zed Head

They should just call it what is - "Sand blast, inspection and powder-coating".  They're not really selling the part, they're just refinishing.  No core, no part.  Once you know that, you can check your local powder-coating shops with your original parts and decide what premium shipping to MSA offers.  They probably farm it out anyway.

Of course, the consumer should always know what they're paying for.  I was just illuminating.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but have been looking for the impossible which is the early diff front mount insulator, ie., # 55415-E4102.

Does anyone have a photo of this insulator and a photo of the later insulator, 55415-E8300?  Just wondered if this later insulator could

be turned around to work as #55415-E4102.

Thoughts?

Here are some pix that I've accumulated from this site and others (apologies to the owners -- I didn't record names with photos).

Picture #1 shows the top surfaces (front of car points right)... 240Z early type (55415-E4100/4101/4102) on the top, 240Z later type (55415 E8300, introduced in 7106 for the MY1972 240Z) on the bottom...

xS30 Differential - Front Mount Insulators - OE - 240Z early vs late - top.jpg

Picture #2 (below) shows the bottom surfaces (front of car points up)... early type (55415-E4102) on the left, later type (55413 E8301) on the right...

S30 Differential - Front Mount Insulators - OE - 240Z early vs late - bottom.jpgx

Picture #3 (below) shows a third type (55415-E8301) which -- if I read the parts manual correctly -- was offered between 7308 - 7412 (which would make it specific to the 260Z, I believe)

xS30 Differential - Front Mount Insulator - OE - 260Z - bottom.jpg

Picture #4 (below) shows a fourth type (55415-N4300/4301) introduced in 7501 and therefore specific to the 280Z.

xS30 Differential - Front Mount Insulator - OE - 280Z a.jpg

Going back to Picture #1 and #2, it looks to be like the 'early' and 'later' 240Z designs, there doesn't appear to be anything different about the hole spacings/positions for the two mount bolts.  The location and size of the threaded centre stud looks the same, too.  The upper/outer plates have different shapes, but I don't see anything that would prevent re-shaping the contour of the later style plate if that's needed to make it fit into a Series 1.

Also, the width of the inner plate's 'jaws' looks similar, early vs late, so it appears that the later style mount would fit down over the early style crossmember.  I emphasize the word, 'appears', because I've never read anywhere that this can actually be done.  Perhaps someone else has tried this and can comment.  For possible reference, Picture #5 (below) shows the early-style insulator sitting in position on top of the matching front crossmember.

BTW, I don't think there would be any need to turn the later style insulator back-to-front to make it work in Series 1 application.  Again, others who've actually tried this may have a different opinion.

S30 Differential - Front Mount Insulator - OE - 240Z early a.jpg

In case you're curious, the threaded holes in the crossmember on either side of the insulator are provided to take a bolt that retains an exhaust system hanger piece.

Edited by Namerow
early vs late mis-labeled in Pix 1 & 2
  • Thanks 1

WOW, Namerow, you have exceeded all expectation with your reply.  Many thanks.  

Since posting my inquiry, I have gotten very lucky and have found all of the pieces,

used condition so far, to make the conversion from post 7/71 series 2 differential rearward

location to the pre 7/71 series 1 forward position.

I agree, Namerow, that it "appears" that the later front diff mount insulator (55415-E8300)

should Interchange with the earlier insulator, (55415-E4102).

The club parts CD shows that the early (55415-E4102) insulator needs to be used in

combination with the early diff front mount crossmember (55411-E4100), and do not interchange with

the later insulator (55415-E8300) and mount crossmember (55411-E8300).

From what I have been able to find, others have tried to use the later insulator to move 

the diff to the series 1 location and bolt hole locations just didn't quite line up without the need for

serious modifications, if that were at all possible.

anyway Namerow, you pictures are terrific only to be exceeded by your ability to do searches.

Thanks Again,

Dan

11 hours ago, Namerow said:

Here are some pix that I've accumulated from this site and others (apologies to the owners -- I didn't record names with photos).

S30 Differential - Front Mount Insulator - OE - 240Z early a.jpg

In case you're curious, the threaded holes in the crossmember on either side of the insulator are provided to take a bolt that retains an exhaust system hanger piece.

Also, good info on the stock exhaust hangar location.  That would be the threaded hole just to the right of the 

insulator in your picture, above.  Not sure what the threaded hole just to the left of the insulator, as pictured,

is for, unless there was a dual exhaust setup for other S30 iterations.

As luck would have it, I do have that NOS stock steel/rubber composite early exhaust hangar as well.

Let the fun begin.

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z

Hi Dan,

My blue 240Z (03/70) ,it has E8300 or 8301 insulator!!

I did not know that until I saw it last year, probably Tetsu (restorer ) could not get E4101/4102 when the car was in a restoration in 1999. Now I have NOS E4102 , the label which is on it says 06/06/16 . This would mean 2006 / June / 16th.

I have forgotten that I need to do it but now I want to replace 8300/8301 to 4102 soon, 

I am very curious how did Tetsu fit a 8300/8301 on a 1970 240Z. Looks like it is turned 180 degrees , maybe we do not need to modify anything? 

Kats

1 hour ago, kats said:

Hi Dan,

My blue 240Z (03/70) ,it has E8300 or 8301 insulator!!

I did not know that until I saw it last year, probably Tetsu (restorer ) could not get E4101/4102 when the car was in a restoration in 1999. Now I have NOS E4102 , the label which is on it says 06/06/16 . This would mean 2006 / June / 16th.

I have forgotten that I need to do it but now I want to replace 8300/8301 to 4102 soon, 

I am very curious how did Tetsu fit a 8300/8301 on a 1970 240Z. Looks like it is turned 180 degrees , maybe we do not need to modify anything? 

Kats

Kats, it's good to hear from you.  Interesting that Tetsu was able to fit an E8300/8301 insulator on your car. 

I would be interested to know which front diff crossmember he used with it, and if he did turn it 180 degrees

to line up the mounting holes.  Was he able to fit the early composite exhaust hangar?  Good find with the

NOS E4102.  That insulator in NOS condition can no long be found on this side of the pond.

Dan