IGNORED

My winter project: L28 swap into my 240z

blodi

I'll set it back to 10 degrees tonight.  But, yes, that's what I meant about full advance. 

The pistons do lift in the carbs. But, they take a decent amount of effort when I did it by hand..which I thought seemed different from before. So...maybe you are onto something there.  I put new fluid (from MSA) in them to the correct level. Maybe I'll try to lift them manually while someone cranks the car. Or I can just remove the dampers temporarily. When I unscrewed the dampers they moved much much easier.   It certainly seems to want all the fuel it can get. So, if the pistons aren't lifting at all...that would mean it's not getting fuel.  I'm also going to try draining the carbs and putting fresh gas in the carbs tonight. 

Edited by blodi

Mine are a little "heavy" feeling when I lift them up with my fingers too, but they work good so I feel that's okay.  A stupid question, you do have the nozzles set at 2.5 turns down, counterclockwise from the top.  Are the nozzles dropping down when you pull the chokes on?  They're not stuck are they?  They should twist a little too on the way down.

Are you using a mechanical pump or electric?  

Mine seemed overly heavy last night when I pushed them up. That's when I double checked the fluid level. I also made sure when I rebuilt them to just do them one at a time so the pistons would stay matched with the domes.  

Yes, the nozzles are set at 2.5 turns down. I need to double check on the choke, but they were free and moving when I installed the carbs. 

Look at my wire locations and compare to yours. My No. 1 wire is about at 9 o'clock and my No.5 wire is at 6 o'clock.

Yours wires are positioned one spot counter clockwise from mine.

Look at your rotor you have pictured at TDC. Its pointing to your No. 4 plug wire. No.1 should be there.

IMG_wires-numbered.jpg

Edited by Lumens
better photo

16 hours ago, Lumens said:

Look at my wire locations and compare to yours. My No. 1 wire is about at 9 o'clock and my No.5 wire is at 6 o'clock.

Yours wires are positioned one spot counter clockwise from mine.

Look at your rotor you have pictured at TDC. Its pointing to your No. 4 plug wire. No.1 should be there.

IMG_wires-numbered.jpg

Yeah, as I said when I posted that pic, that was "before" I adjusted them and moved them all one post clockwise. So now mine look like yours. For some reason, they ran fine that way on the old engine. 

14 hours ago, madkaw said:

.Fuel at the supply line only says the pump is working , doesn't mean it's actually getting into your carbs. Anything in the float bowls?

...which leads me to my news....Got it fired up!!! It turned out it was a combination of things...the location of the plug wires on the distributor which I had already figured out, the rear float or needle was sticking and although it had fuel in the line...there was none in the bowl, and the chokes were not fully engaging. I didn't realize you need to pre-tension them a bit before tightening the bolt on the cable. So once I got all that sorted...she came to life on her own! I got her up to temp set the idle timing at 10 degrees and synced the carbs..by that time it was getting late. So, this weekend I'm going to get the fuel mixture dialed in with my colortune and set the full timing. Then time to start getting some break in miles on it if the roads are dry enough. 

Crappy i phone audio...but that big cam sounds awesome!

24603791544_33a13f6cd5_c.jpgIMG_6113 by blodi, on Flickr

Edited by blodi
  • Like 3

L6' s with big cams sound so sweet!!! Now ya got me all excited about getting my Z out of winter hibernation and taking her out on the road!!

We had a cold snap the last couple of days... and they salted the roads. After about a month of rain had cleared everything clean. Rat Bastardo's!!

Edited by Chickenman
spelling