IGNORED

Redwing's Car - An Update

SteveJ

If the engine dies and won't restart, checking the plugs is a good idea.  A coolant leak will look different than over-fueling.  And, typically, a coolant leak due to a head gasket will only affect one or two cylinders.  Usually the engine will start but it will run poorly.  So blown head gasket seems like stretch. 

The fact that yours won't start at all leads more to the fueling/flooding problem.  Which is common when the ECU goes bad.  Checking the plugs will tell a lot though.  I wouldn't give up on it yet.

Pull all six spark plugs and examine.

Zed,

RedBird does start all the time since last Friday when the AFM was replaced. That is until Wed night. Most of the time she purrs like a kitten. The morning after being towed after she wouldn't start, she chirped to life like a sweet purring kitten. And, on the morning of the heavy smoke, that afternoon she started and ran perfectly to town and back. Before those 2 instances, over the weekend I drove all over, going to town 3 times. When Tim and Steve were here and replaced the AFM, Steve pulled the ECU, and it checked out ok.

Thank you for your interest and comments.

Jai

Sorry, thought it hadn't started since the last problem.  So you have a sporadic problem.  You can still tell coolant leaks from over-fueling and/or oil by examining the plugs.

Several to many people over the years have described a random problem with their ECU where it will start adding way too much fuel, running very rich.  Then they tap or beat on the ECU or wiggle the wires to the connector and the problem fixes itself.

But, I guess the real problem here is finding someone to do these tests for you.  Aren't there some kids in the neighborhood that need something to fill their time, and have internet access?

Nope, no kids around here, I live out in the country.

What is over-fueling? Sorry I do not know that term.

I have to take my ailing get dog to the vet in the morning, but in the afternoon I will pull the plugs and photo them. And stick my finger in the tailpipe. I can tell you now tho, it looks very black. I Think when they put the AFM on that she was running lean. Think.

Will get back to this later tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

Jai

Finally getting the spark plugs and the swipe of the exhaust pipe photos uploaded. I was not able to lighten the photos, there is a confusion between my cell phone and my tablet.

They are both pretty sooty. The spark plugs were put in RedBird on August 15. But because of the problems with her, I doubt I have driven her more than 50 - 75 miles max.

Jai

post-30236-0-93773200-1446347348_thumb.jpost-30236-0-05224800-1446347981_thumb.j

I don't really see any signs of moisture either.  Coolant in the cylinders tends to clean them up.  The good - it doesn't look like a major engine problem.  The bad - still unknown.

Maybe Steve should have put those 240Z carbs on there...

• Like 1

Yes, those plugs were in RedBird since August 15, and the AFM was put in a week ago yesterday.

I will go in the manual and learn how to clean them, and follow your suggestion.

As to water in the tank, I have no idea. But after I filled her tank, I did take her to a car wash last Saturday. I avoid the areas that perhaps might leak. I will go out and check the gas cap, to make sure it is on tight.

Ok, it is on tight, so I opened it. The familiar small whoosh of vacuum was there. So I seriously doubt car wash water got in there. Now if it got there by any other way, again I have no idea. She does not live outside, she is comfy in her new carport, out of the weather. I too am confused by the white smoke.

Thanks for your ideas, if I need to clarify anything, just ask.

Jai

Edited by Redwing