IGNORED

Redwing's Car - An Update

SteveJ

I wonder if raising the idle speed slightly would help.  The rich oily fuel air blend might be too much for a cold engine.

As I understand things, on the dual pickup ignition systems there are two things that keep the idle speed up when the engine is cold - the AAR and the second pickup.  The AAR stays open for just a few minutes, but the second ignition system keeps the timing advanced until the engine warms up.  Which could take about 20 minutes.  Advanced timing increases engine RPM.

Anyway, it might be worthwhile to increase idle RPM a couple hundred RPM.  Turn the screw circled counterclockwise.  You can actually do it by hand some times.

Stole a picture from this link, post #4 - http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/37021-no-idle-screw/

post-19298-0-48242400-1446919862_thumb.p

• Like 1

Jai, sometimes I wonder if its ecu related. I believe another member has mentioned that as well. If you dont have the funds for a replacement or transplant of the hei unit I would be willing to ship you one of my ecu's to try. Just let me know. Maybe one of the members that have worked on RB will install it for you or I could walk you through it. Its simple.

rcb280z,

Thank you for your fine offer. Yes $ is prohibited, especially this month as I am having to spend a lot at the vet for Deanna. Those bags of water/saline (?) are $20.00 each and we are going thru a lot of them. I do have another who has offered the same, awaiting to hear if that ECU is available. So we shall see, I will let you know. As I understand, isn't the ECU a plug and play? Steve removed this one quickly, altho I was not exactly watching the process.

Thank you,

Jai

Hi folks,

I need help. I have been pouring thru my FSM looking for the ECU to get the part number for rcb280z. He is needing it to determine if the one he is willing to ship me for RedBird, is correct. I can't find it, does anyone know?

RB does have a catalytic converter (California car?) , is a 10/75 build 280 Z.

Thank you all so much.

Jai

Jai, If you climb down and look at the kick panel next to your clutch pedal you can see a little cut out window. Behind it is the sticker with all the information about your ecu.

A lot old the californian models up to august 77 will change out. I have a 5/77 and Im running a 11/75 ecu in it with no problems. It was plug and play. The part nr is A11-601-000. I have been told the 601 is for the Automatic version, but can't co firm it.

Here is a photo of my ecu with kick panel removed and the second photo of the kick panel with the window.

Hope it helps you with locating a donor ecu.

Chas

Mine has an A11-600-000, built in 9/'76.  I've read that if it has the green sticker it'll swap out, not for sure on that though just from reading when i was having problems a few years ago.

Site,

Thank you for that information. I'm sure rcb280z will read this and be able to determine if it is right. I think that is the one he has.

Good RedBird news. Needed to go to Dalton today, to go see an adjuster about the damage done to her. It going to cost $1375.85 from that body shop. I really like them, they started out restoring classics, and at another site they still do. Not every shop has that background.

I asked them aside from that repair, what would it cost me to repair the damage to the door someone else did. It is not deep at all, just a long area all across the door and then a small, about 1/2 inch or less tear in the edge of the wheel well. He originally said $900, but reduced it to $650 as we talked. I sure wish it could be done as well, because he said they would be painting the door. Too bad there is no way I could ever come up with that amount. I will take this appraisal when I see the adjuster on Wednesday. And make a decision then, as to where she goes.

Sweet RB wasn't thrilled when I started her to warm her up today. She started that rough running stuff, so I applied the remedy of heavy footed gas pedal. No smoke. In a couple minutes she was ok. Took me to all my errands, of which I had to stop and turn her off 5 times, restarting perfectly. Then as I got to the turn off to go home, she coughed twice and died. Pfooey. Would not start 2 times, but on the 3rd try, after about only 5-8 minutes, she did, and ran on down the drive to home. Better!

That's All Folks!

Jai