IGNORED

Injector Leaking.

rcb280z

Gasoline and styrofoam = redneck naypalm 

I searched Google the other day for "polystyrene and gasoline" and that's what comes up.  Not the redneck part but the rest.  Pretty sure I'm on a list now.  We're all on it.

All my plugs look identical to one another except for #4. Think I'm going to not worry about flow right now and replace the one injector. If there was a difference in appearance (lean or rich looking) with any other plugs then yes I would need to check flow. Getting ready to replace it now.

Edited by rcb280z

ZedHead, I was thinking they would probably hold fuel long enough for what I was going to do. But have had to change plans again and hold off on the flow check. No worries, better to be safe than sorry. I understood what your intentions were when recommending caution using plastic cup.

New injector is in. The one it replaced was in fact leaking. I removed the rail and energized the fuel pump to pressure up the system and observed #4 injector drip. Would drip about every 50 seconds. That's why my rail would bleed pressure off so quick. It is holding pressure now. Lets see for how long.

I removed all injectors from the rail and flushed them out with brake cleaner. Installed them back on with new o-rings.

Before I installed the new injector I filled the hose with brake cleaner and energized it with the 9 volt battery and got nothing. What!!! So I put one of the old o-rings on it and cinched it in the bench vise, hooked up the 9 volt battery and started tapping on it. After about a dozen taps with my screw driver she started working. Thank God. Thought I got a defective injector. BTW I have a quick release style injector clip with a short harness and alligator clips for testing injectors. Works nice.

I used the brake cleaner in all the injectors. Ran it through them and then blew out the residual with compressed air. The idle seems a little smoother also, I think. Unless its my imagination. Going to try and find out why injector 4 started leaking. Wonder what could have found its way past that micro filter? I didn't get any debris out of the other injectors.

We used to mix up that gasoline/Styrofoam stuff as well! Add it to the list of stupid kid tricks!   :)

If there's a list, I know I'm certainly on it.

This kind of stuff would make a very interesting social study, How (back before the internet) did all of these tricks travel? Could only have been word of mouth, because nobody was writing this stuff down! I'm thrilled that there are other people who have experienced this kind of stuff. And lived.

Yeah, remember the day when....hopefully, as long as it wasn't life threatening, you did something stupid and you were by yourself?

Everyone's had a brain fart moment.

Anyway, yeah I'm glad it all worked out. I was just starting to get irritated when the new injector didn't work. But then I realized it probably sat on a shelf for awhile and was going to need to be "awakened" so to speak.