IGNORED

240Z E31 Head Gasket Options

redzedsled

Dam-no more nismo gaskets. Hope the new felpro works. I have 2 new ones(felpro's) sitting home now, but I'm out of town so I can't describe anything.

In the big picture, has there been a rash of HG gasket failures lately DUE to inferior gaskets.

How many ways can a HG fail? Many! Especially when we are dealing with the variables of back yard maintenance-me included. 

Was the surfaces prepped properly?

Was the head torqued propery?

Was the head checked for flatness correctly?

Did the engine get hot?

Was there undetected detonation ?

If there is nothing special about the sealing edges of the water passages in the gasket, I would just drill the newer gasket to match the older.  Clamp the gasket between two blocks of wood.  It's a common method to prevent tearing or chipping of sensitive material.  Or carve the holes out with an exacto knife.  Not as hard as it seems, if there's no metal layer.

Finally found the head gasket that best fits. It is part number 11044-N4221.

It is stamped with the Nissan logo with the code NRZ 46F. NRZ stands for Nippon-Reinz and is made in Japan.

The firing oval ring measures 89.5mm x 87mm and features the same water passage holes that my original head gasket had.

This the best head gasket I have seen for having the same contours as the original.

Thanks for all your contributions! 

• Like 1

Oddly enough I did not get it from Nissan, but it does have the Nissan logo on it, with the packaging labeled JMNR High Performance Engine Gasket Made In Japan.

The parts guy had 2 on the shelf, so I bought both. I am happy to give to the other one to you at cost if you want it.