IGNORED

original blue engine paint colorcode?

bartsscooterservice

• 4 months later...
The Pontiac color is close, but not exact. If you want to get fussy, the paints from CDM or Banzai are the right stuff.

I bought some of the Pontiac Blue at O'Reilly's and later the same day saw some Krylon "Bahama Sea" at another place and bought it as well. When I got home I sprayed a couple of shelf brackets with both paints and compared them to what's left of the original blue on my block and other bits, I went with the Bahama Sea. To my eye in direct sunlight it's much closer to the original than the Pontiac Blue.

• 5 years later...

I realize this is a 6 year old thread, but @zspert does carry the correct color for you all.

http://www.zzxdatsun.com/catRequests.php

image.png

EDIT: @EuroDat @Arne already mentioned Banzai, I did not fully read the thread prior to posting. My error.

Edited by wal280z
added picture, 2nd edit in bold
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2013 at 1:18 AM, bartsscooterservice said:

Anybody knows the colorcode of the paint? I tried Nissan Netherlands, but they won't help

Hi , I have neither  used nor confirmed color of this can but most of L - series engine builders say this is the color , and still available from a local Nissan today . 

I just bought one for my curiosity. The label said

“ genuine “

“ UD touch up paint “

” Nissan Engine blue “

” No 10128-90026”

I googled little bit, UD is a company for trucks, Volvo is a parent company. Nissan diesel Ltd was merged  into Volvo in 2007 .

Hope this helps .

Kats

2F74CF3A-5FCB-47B9-A1A5-E9AEED2AE0B0.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kats said:

Hi , I have neither  used nor confirmed color of this can but most of L - series engine builders say this is the color , and still available from a local Nissan today . 

I just bought one for my curiosity. The label said

“ genuine “

“ UD touch up paint “

” Nissan Engine blue “

” No 10128-90026”

I googled little bit, UD is a company for trucks, Volvo is a parent company. Nissan diesel Ltd was merged  into Volvo in 2007 .

Hope this helps .

Kats

2F74CF3A-5FCB-47B9-A1A5-E9AEED2AE0B0.jpeg

Evidently this is difficult to source in the US. We would have to get it directly out of Japan. I did some looking and even some of the sources available from other countries are being drop shipped out of Japan.

• Like 2

Great thread on this topic. I am about to receive my block back from the machine shop this weekend and picked up a can of bahama sea blue from krylon to test.I have also found this from Por15, 

https://por15canada.com/por15-store/engine-enamel/por15-engine-enamel.html

The Amc/Jeep blue looks really close online and wondered if anyone has looked into it. I know my restoration buddy has used the Healy green on an A series block and it sprayed out perfect.

Edited by Boomguy

We came upon a well preserved part that we took to a local paint supplier and had them match the color.  We ended up with a quart can (from which we've done probably 5 blocks over the years and still have more than half) and eventually a couple of spray cans they made using that formula.  We discovered that it's much easier to brush on than spray the block itself...  Easier to spray the brackets and pulleys.  

We also learned from the 1975 Museum car we had in the shop that if you're going for authentic factory look when spraying, you have to overspray the bottom of the head about an inch or so...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good point on the over spray, my e31 head has about a 1/2" of light over spray along the bottom in areas. One nice thing about the por15 is that it is very stable colour wise through many heat cycles where a lot of paints change their hue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 1:37 AM, Patcon said:

Evidently this is difficult to source in the US. We would have to get it directly out of Japan. I did some looking and even some of the sources available from other countries are being drop shipped out of Japan.

Hi Patcon , I didn’t know it is difficult to obtain the can  outside of Japan . 

Today I painted the can to see how the color look like . I sprayed it on my spare 

L24-004556 , just a little bit right side  rear end .

In the picture, I held an alternator bracket side by side for a comparison . This bracket is the original , never  repainted In the past .

I see the can color is  a little bit different from the bracket, but I see the can color matches perfectly to the original engine block which is in my orange 1972 240Z , never repainted in the past .

Kats

3003D5A4-520A-4F48-84BC-608996038C66.jpeg

0F9E6939-312F-47D8-A95C-3165304668D5.jpeg

5668686F-63AB-46D0-9F71-EA535E3987E0.jpeg

• Like 1