IGNORED

My Datsun 240Z

Was just looking at a picture from the first owner in late 1970's.. seems my 240Z originally had the steel riveted fan ( early ).. somehow must have been changed to the later plastic one some point in time.

Also the air cleaner is different, but it didn't came with that one anyhow when I bought it. I now have the early one without that winter choke thing or what is it?

fan.jpg

A while back I picked up a large group of used parts that included several heat shields.  One of them was unique in that it had no notch for the heat riser tube to the air filter (1st pic).  In checking with some friends, I got a comment from Carl Beck suggesting that the heat riser was added somewhere around VIN 6,000.  It was the heat riser feature that caused the air filter change for the butterfly flap.  All the parts catalogs I've seen only show the heat riser version of the heat shield - one of those constant improvements in the production cycle.  So... assuming Carl is correct on the VIN change, your car has the early version of the air filter.  Check your heat shield to see if it has the notch.

240Z Early Front.jpg

240Z Front.jpg

Edited by jfa.series1

4 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

My #6521 car also has the early heat shield, picture attached. I noticed that the retainers for the throttle return springs are lower on mine and the picture from Phillip than Jim's.

rn

Yes, I noticed the higher attach points on this shield when I had it, could never figure out why.  The same goes for the unique fuel rail I have that has different mounting tangs and a much larger opening for the fuel return orfice.

20 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

A while back I picked up a large group of used parts that included several heat shields.  One of them was unique in that it had no notch for the heat riser tube to the air filter (1st pic).  In checking with some friends, I got a comment from Carl Beck suggesting that the heat riser was added somewhere around VIN 6,000.  It was the heat riser feature that caused the air filter change for the butterfly flap.  All the parts catalogs I've seen only show the heat riser version of the heat shield - one of those constant improvements in the production cycle.  So... assuming Carl is correct on the VIN change, your car has the early version of the air filter.  Check your heat shield to see if it has the notch.

240Z Early Front.jpg

240Z Front.jpg

Okay. I will check the shield when taking it out of storage. But the picture I posted above must be how it came from the factory, this is only a few years after he bought it new ( maybe 5 ). So the air filter house pictured with the flap must and the metal radiator fan must be the correct one that came with the car.

The later plastic fan I have now was allready on, and the air filter was a wrong 73 one for the flattops, so I found this early one, but this is without the flap.

I might source a metal fan, and put it on, just for the correct ness, but the air filter i'll leave this way, hate the flap thing. 

Edited by bartsscooterservice

Fun thing is the 71 that went on BAT for 310k, also has the air cleaner without the flap ( like I have on it now ).. but does have the steel fan also..

Factory must have been putting on it whatever they had laying around in the time.

I notice the steel fan is greyish color or is it yellow zinc coated? Anybody know the oem color for it ?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-124/

Edited by bartsscooterservice

2 minutes ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Fun thing is the 71 that went on BAT for 310k, also has the air cleaner without the flap ( like I have on it now ).. but does have the steel fan also..

Factory must have been putting on it whatever they had laying around in the time.

I notice the steel fan is greyish color ? Anybody know the oem color for it ?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-124/

The VIN on the BAT car is 4684 which puts it in the right range for the early style air filter.  The OE metal fan on my car was a creamy white - not bright white.

• Like 1

Bart,  The Original color of the fan is a off white .. a little yellow?  color..

The Original airfilter on my early '71 is just as my 1972 (orig. dutch car but is gone..) a flap-less type.. Who says it needs a flap for the summer/winter setting?  they came much later.  (or is something else, another flap intended?)

20 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Bart,  The Original color of the fan is a off white .. a little yellow?  color..

The Original airfilter on my early '71 is just as my 1972 (orig. dutch car but is gone..) a flap-less type.. Who says it needs a flap for the summer/winter setting?  they came much later.  (or is something else, another flap intended?)

I have no idea. It act's like a choke maybe ? If I look @ the BAT 240.. it seems it was yellow zinc plated, which would make the most sence when new. Cause the factory would zinc all the parts together, not going to do a fan seperate?

My early 71 was flapless too. It's my understanding that closing the flap routed warm air (heated by the engine) into the carbs to prevent the carbs from icing up in freezing weather. Never had that problem with my Z. However my 521 pickup (downdraft carb) did have that problem when it was damp out and just below freezing.

• Like 1