IGNORED

Updates to the ZCCA Car Show Judging Rules

TomoHawk

both the Stock and the Nissan modified are for cars with the original L series...

Per the Rulebook, the Nissan Modified class allows "Any Nissan engine offered in any Z model including the addition of turbochargers, superchargers, carburetors, nitrous, and intake system is permitted."

Reading back through earlier posts... A couple of comments were made about paint and I thought I would post this picture from Cleveland 2008. Original paint - can you see the amount of orange peel in the reflection of...can you guess who those guys are? On the other hand, you wouldn't necessarily get dinked if your paint was mirror flawless. I have seen it go both ways.

The ZCCA does not have a recorded data-base of information for the stock classes, I agree. I know a lot of judges who have private collections. I do. But wouldn't it be nice to see a collection resource. For instance, I just saw a 1971 Datsun Canada accessories brochure. Up until now, I had always thought that there were no 'factory' accessories until the 1972 model year. (I'm speaking exclusively about HLS30 imports here) And even the issue with accessories in 1972 is arguable. The ZCCA does have a resource file for judges and their experience, but it really boils down to who shows up at a convention.

Will, you mean "Street Modified" class with an original L-series engine.

I have said this so many times and I'll say it again; the ZCCA rules are intended for everyone to have fun and the playing field is leveled over the easiest way to compete. Cleanliness wins. Yea, yea, we can get into the stock thing but more points are lost for dirt than anything else. People who win awards spend days (I mean days) cleaning their car. And still it isn't easy! I remember it rained in Cleveland. Rained like hell in Daytona - what a bummer that was! Uber-dusty in San Antonio.

post-4148-14150820155742_thumb.jpg

Will, you mean "Street Modified" class with an original L-series engine.

Nope! I meant he could fix the "issue" with his car and put in something between a stock L24 and any Z engine...but the real fix for me would be the original engine...or at least An L2X...

OJ, your car only has to make you happy-and I would love to see it just as you want it to be for as long as it is yours.

To pair with you Chris, I have always looked at the Competition Parts Catalog as the HLS30 Accessory list, even though many. if not most. dealers never made it readily available to customers because of having to wait for what would have been ordered from it...and most dealers having had the attitude "forget what you don't have, sell what is here..."

Edited by hls30.com

I'll give this a break while people make their the way to the convention. Meanwhile, I have an attorney friend who said he'd give the document a look, and discuss the missing information with me.

Good luck to the people going to the convention.

Edited by TomoHawk

• 6 years later...

ZCCA judging question:

I noticed in the judging manual that the stock Z car must be in the "exactly as shipped from the factory" condition.  For the 1973 Z cars, there was a service bulletin that later installed items such as the insulation that cover the fuel lines among other things.  Based on the manual verbage, my understanding is that the insulation should not be on the car for the official judging.  Does this sound correct?

I'm not a ZCCA judge, but that does not sound right to me. Since that was a documented dealer modification (not quite a "recall"), I would expect that to be accepted as "normal" when being evaluated. I would hope that cars that had those mods would be considered totally equal to cars which had not.

But, of course... My opinion doesn't mean squat.  LOL 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I'm not a ZCCA judge, but that does not sound right to me. Since that was a documented dealer modification (not quite a "recall"), I would expect that to be accepted as "normal" when being evaluated. I would hope that cars that had those mods would be considered totally equal to cars which had not.

But, of course... My opinion doesn't mean squat.  LOL 

I agree with Bruce ... and I regard his opinion highly!   Be it beer or automotive engineering.

The judging rules need an update (I know the judges are mostly unpaid volunteers)  for instance, there is no "survivor" class.  A true unmolested 40k miles 240 / 280z gets to compete with a full on restoration where everything is refreshed or brought up to as new standards.  Not exactly a fair playing field.

I know that Zup got dinged for his replacement of the fuel line insulation with a modern equivalent vs the original asbestos stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@gnosez

@HLS30

@26th-Z

Hi Rich,

You know my thoughts on this particular subject, but it would be great to hear from experienced ZCCA judges.

I have shown my car at ZCCA judged events both with and without the fuel line insulation (which was a part of the V kit----- a factory authorized modification for the 73 model year 240z cars).

At Memphis and Austin----No insulation = no point deduction

At Atlanta---Insulation = 3 point deduction, but the deduction was taken twice = 6 point deduction

Engine & Engine Compartment Item #1. Radiator/ Fan, Fan Clutch/ Belts/ Hoses/ Clamps     (the 3 point deduction comment  was "not stock, heat shields on hoses")

Engine & Engine Compartment Item #5. Emissions System (air pump, tubes, hoses)    (the 3 point deduction comment was "heat shields")

Of course I knew nothing of this until I received the judging sheets about 5 months after the show! (Judging sheets attached below)

Nevertheless, I reviewed the TSB "Modification Plus" describing the parts and procedures which did not get published in their entirety until August of 1975. (attached below)

It is apparent that as ongoing problems were experienced by owners, there were a series of modifications and adjustments that were endeavoring to fix the issues---not just one but many. (orifice restrictors, power valve changes, electric fuel pump installation and heat shield insulation wraps, etc.)

Even the Hitachi carburetors were significantly redesigned/ improved, as over the time period there were at least 2 versions (with a middle version that was sort of a mix of both the earlier and the later)

The insulating heat shield wraps were of 2 types, as described on page 14 of the TSB. At first it was a black "tar like" tape wrapped with bright adhesive foil, and then the more commonly seen asbestos glass fiber insulative material covered by an aluminum coated asbestos cloth.

I've come full circle and will be removing the insulation from Zilver in preparation for the show in Branson this July.

1973 240z 1974 260z fuel system modifications.pdf Jim Daniels 2018 Atlanta Judging sheets Stock (1).pdf

• Like 1