IGNORED

$35,000 73 240z?

whamo

Carl,

Things aren't adding up to me. If you are implying that the car for sale is the one on the R&T cover, it doesn't make sense, at least from what I understand about model years and magazine lead times. (Of course, that understanding is heavily influenced by my readings on the histories of the Big 3 and modern magazine lead times.) The R&T cover you attached is from Aug 72. Considering the lead time for stories, that test would have been conducted about a month or so before publication. The issue would have been published in July 72, making the test no earlier than June 72.

The car for sale is listed as a 73. Did Datsun come out with the 73 several months early? Is it impossible for those to be one and the same car? Am I way off base?

Judging strictly by the bumpers and overriders, the car on CL is a '73 as advertised, and the R&T tire test car is a '72 or earlier.

I think the magazine lead times back in those days was more like 3 months. That tire test was probably done in the Spring of '72. Way too early for a '73 to have made it to the states, be "prepared" and do the testing.

Carl,

Things aren't adding up to me. If you are implying that the car for sale is the one on the R&T cover, it doesn't make sense, at least from what I understand about model years and magazine lead times.

I am implying that the seller may think it is. I said "I could be wrong" and "if he can prove it"... :finger:

I agree that the publication date of the magazine most likely rules out a 73 Z.... What else could the seller be thinking about a stock Blue 73 Z, that could be worth $35K?

Anyone else dare to speculate?

FWIW,

Carl B..

I am implying that the seller may think it is. I said "I could be wrong" and "if he can prove it"... :finger:

That's one of the great things about the internet. I got to latch on to what I wanted to see and completely ignore your caveats. LOL I blame ADHD, multitasking, and the effects of raiding the Halloween candy bowl too often.

As for the $35K value, maybe the current owner or previous owner was able to track down a famous previous owner and have the famous previous owner sign the dash or something. Hmm, should we ask Pete Brock if he ever owned a blue 73?

I can't really come up with a name that would make me want to fork over that much money, though. Of course, considering what I posted earlier in this thread, that is to be expected from me.

Other than the competition car - I've never heard Mr. Brock mention ever owning a 73 240Z. He's had a couple 510's and still has one, although highly modified.

Over the years - I'm sure we have all heard lots of "stories" about different cars, told by their owners. Many times the owners/sellers believe the story to be true.... every once in a while it turns out to be true!!

The recent emergence of Rick Morgan and HLS30 00013 is a case in point...

At first I was thinking $35K - must be a "Vintage Z".. but then remembered that Nissan didn't do any 73's... only 70,71 & 72's. Couldn't think of any other Blue 240Z - at least none that were pictured in color, in any other magazine articles....

Nonetheless - good trivia - even if I lead it was a wild goose chase.

FWIW,

Carl B.

The link just worked for me as well. I posted the pic in #10, as did Carl in post #21. Here's how the CL ad ran:

"Near mint, original condition 100k miles, excellent history/records, recent service/parts, never wrecked. Metallic blue over black. All accessories are period correct and were Datsun Dealer installed, Webers, factory air-conditioning, Appliance wheels. I installed an Ansa exhaust system and also period correct Uniroyal 205/14” Tiger-Paws. $35,000 firm. Call 503-997-2221, for details on why this particular 240Z is worth $35 Grand and why the classic 240Z is important and valuable to other Datsun 240Z owners. You 240Z folks won’t be disappointed. Ask about article/story on 240Z. 503-997-2221"