IGNORED

Stupid City

Ok, so it's been some time since I've posted or even been on this site. Thougth I would give ya'all an update. Right around the time I stopped posting, the city took my 280z. City rolled by my place and off it went. I have the number for the tow yard where it's at, and I might try to get it back at some point, but likely it wont happen.

Sucks because I relaly liked my datsun too. frown.gif

I forgot to take the paperwork out (finally got the state to recognise me as current owner the day before, and paid for new plates and all that) and I told the rent-a-cop (volenteer citizen) that the papaer was there, and it would identify the datsun as legal to be on the street, and that the plates were in the mail. she wouldnt hear it and towed it. I went and got a copy of the paperwork needed and the vehicle si being refused to be given back by both the city and tow yard, so I've got a lawyer lookign into it, but untilk then, it sits in the tow yard.

I forgot to take the paperwork out...
Okay, so you didn't have anything showing on the the car to indicate it was legally registered or in the process of being registered and you had it parked on the street? How does that make it the city's or the rent-a cop's fault?

Rent-a-cop = city employee. She's a volunteer. And ther fault because I was explaining to them the paperwork was in the glove box.

Thanks. It's frustrating to sday the least. Everything show I am the properly registered owner, dmv shows that It's legal and plates are on the way (well were, I got'em the other day), but still it's not being released unless I pay the rediculously high yard fee's. I shouldn't have to. It was towed for no reason. When she pulled the vin and ran my id,. it should have some back as good. Even if it didn't, The paperwork was in the glovebox, and they already put it in gear to get it on the flat bed. . So I know they could get to the paperwork.

Personally, I think it's theft, because she refused to even look at the paperwork. Had they done that, I would still have my datsun.

Just ym two cents, and I think it's bs. Had she just looked, it would have been clear on the whole issue.

It was towed for no reason.
Not so. If you don't have anything on the outside of the car, i.e. plates with a current sticker, valid temporary sticker, etc. it can't be legally on the street. It's not up to them to look in the glovebox. Sure, she could have and she's an arse for not doing so but unless what you had in the glovebox was one of the above mentioned things, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I agree it sucks. I've been through it myself. If only you'd picked up the temporary window sticker when you were at the DMV, you'd still have your car. It isn't the city or the rent-a-cop's fault.

While you sit there "arguing" with yourself, the yards fees are accumulating each and every day.

You could go ahead and bitch to your hearts content.... and discover that the yard fees go astronomical and they sell your Z.

Swallow your pride, get the money, go get your car and put your tags on it so it's legal. You can't argue against those people who have the police on THEIR payroll to try to enforce YOUR opinion on the laws that THEY wrote. i.e. you're fighting a batlle that is LOST... not a losing battle.

Now, if you want to take it to court AFTERWARDS, go for it. Make sure you have a couple grand to burn and DON'T expect to win. You'll find that this type of revenue is very much protected.

Again, each day ADDS to the amount you have to come up with, and it ain't cheap!

FWIW

E

Edited by EScanlon

If you had the paperwork for the car, then it should have been displayed properly. It sounds like to me you would have put it off forever had she not done her duty. Volunteer or not, she had a duty and responsibility. As do you. Owning any car is a heavy responsibility, and I think you need to ask yourself if your ready for this one. If so, go get your car and lets get it running and fixed up!!

We have a stupid law in our city that everyone is bitchin about.

We drive on the left, and there are bus lanes on the left where cars

are not allowed to drive, until the last 50 metres from the intersection,

when you can pull into that lane to execute a left turn. The local authority

has people with cameras set up to photograph any offender, who then

gets a $150 fine in the post. The question is, how the hell do you tell

where 50 metres is, in a car travelling at 30mph- 50kph. I could understand

it if they had a painted line on the road or something like that, so that

people had a chance to abide by this stupid law.:stupid: Revenue gathering

. I would say so, and no, I havn't been caught --yet.

Was it blocking a traffic lane? Was it reported stolen? I still fail to see a reason for the car to have been towed. What if someone stole a plate off a car... does that car get towed? Sounds like a BS way for a municipality to make more money off of it's residents. Hey isn't CA bankrupt... now it's starting to make sense.