IGNORED

new headlights

maeckj

I think you will find the Black Dragon harness will take some work to install, it is not a simple plug and play kit. What they sell is a universal kit, intended for any vehicle

A handful of members here have reported using it over the years, sounds like it works aside from needing to hack up the stock wiring a little bit.

MSA sells a kit made by a Zs-ondabrain, a member here, which IS plug and play for 240Zs. It's a great fit, comes with plain straightforward instructions, and you won't have to do any hacking of the original wiring.

It costs more, but it was definitely worth the money to me.

Send the harness back while you still can. Don't even open the box. Their description of a Plug and Play Upgrade harness is ANYTHING but that.

You'll have to cut the hell out of it to make it even work, it stands out like a sore thumb. If the relays ever go bad, you're screwed, as they can't be bought with any bit of ease.

Try this instead........

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SRC19/12-4651

Ya, it's more expensive but it is a TRUE Plug and Play for the 240Z. No cutting, splicing, drilling or messing with your stock wiring. Just mount it, connect the connectors to your headlight plugs in front of the radiator, bolt the new ground wires to the inner frame in front of the radiator, connect the power wire to the battery's (+) post and your done.

Dave

Jordan-

The lighting harnesses that you can buy through MSA is the way to go. There are several threads on it (do a search if needed) and there are 3 different harnesses that Dave has custom designed for our cars. There are many of us that have made this modification and are extremely happy with it. There are no wires to cut, no wires to splice - it is simple and very effective, and will take a load off your fuse box and pull the power from from your battery (where Nissan should have put it originally). Your parking lights will be brighter as well as your interior lights at night, and that is a by-product of your brighter headlights!! Dave is the resident pro at sound and electronic's on our site.

I would return the Black Dragon harness without a second thought.;)

Edited by Travel'n Man

As much as I appreciate Dave's advice, I took the risk and bought the Black Dragon wiring harness. It took about 10 minutes to install, plugged in with only one minor modification. It was a TREMENDOUS improvement. The wiring could have been a foot longer, the casing is bright yellow instead of a black or something less intrusive. In all fairness, I did have an old harness laying around I was able to canabalize so that I didn't cut mine. The toughest part is fishing the plug through the headlight bucket.

Just my experience. I've always had to fix my own stuff so maybe I didn't think it was that big of deal. Still, I was more than pleased.

Edited by IdahoKidd
apparently the 'tab' button sends the text to post prematurely

You didn't say what year of Z you have.

If you have a 240Z ...Absolutely return the Black Dragon Harness and order one from Dave Irwin. They are plug & play. It took me about 15 minutes to install the harness Dave made for my 76 280Z.

If you have a 260 or a 280Z Dave can make one for you if you supply him with 3 plugs. (I don't want to speak for Dave so check with him first).

I had the Black Dragon Harness (new in the box) and sold it.

So yes... BUY DAVE'S harness!

Dave Ruiz

One thing to bear in mind that is rarely mentioned - either of these harnesses will cause your ammeter to read well to the + side when the lights are on. This is because the current draw from the lights is now coming from the battery directly, and not passing through the ammeter. So the ammeter sees the increased output from the alternator to compensate for the draw, but doesn't see the corresponding draw. No way around this that doesn't compromise the intent of the harnesses.

So don't sweat it when you see this after installing one of these harnesses.

1971 240Z

totally can confirm what Arne says. At night I am a good 1/8" into the + side, thought maybe I had a regulator issue. When I looked at the diagram again, and realized what was really happening I understood.

I may one day upgrade to a 60amp internal regulated alternator, but not until my stock system dies.

I may one day upgrade to a 60amp internal regulated alternator, but not until my stock system dies.
My stock 40 amp alternator lives in safe storage, sitting besides such parts as the original metal fan, date-coded plug wires, gray-green distributor cap, Koito headlights, AM radio and antenna, etc. Nice to have, but not used in normal driving.

As much as I appreciate Dave's advice, I took the risk and bought the Black Dragon wiring harness. It took about 10 minutes to install, plugged in with only one minor modification. The toughest part is fishing the plug through the headlight bucket.

WOW!! You actually pulled Both headlight buckets, cut and modified the harness and put it all back together in 10 minutes. I'm either Seriously impressed or Baffled. Not sure which.

Not knockin ya or calling your bluff but 10 minutes? Seriously?

Just asking.

Not trying to toot my own horn or even push my products but figured I'd save him the time and heartache or tearing into his harness and the BD harness as well. If the relays ever go bad, good luck finding replacements.

Dave