IGNORED

Spring & Strut Packages

lonetreesteve

From what info I have that I got from Blue's tech tip's He has Tokico springs

at 185lbs/in front and 200lbs/in rear the rears I have read are a progressive rate

I spoke with a Tokico engineer that I work with and asked him what the rates are for the Z springs. He said that the 240Z springs (5020F and 5020R) are 140 lbs/in and 165 lbs/in respectively and that the 280Z springs (5022F and 5022R) are 185 lbs/in and 200 lbs/in respectively. This info is straight from Tokico, not from a distributor, so it should be accurate.

Since he only gave me one rate, they SHOULD be single rate and not progressive. I told him that some people claim to have progressive Tokico springs and others have single rate. He said that there is always a chance there could have been different specs at one time and some of those parts may still be in warehouses. He didn't say that this was the case, just that it's possible.

I am working with Geezer to find out for sure what his 240Z Tokico springs measure. He hasn't installed them yet, so I will take them to work and rate check them. Hopefully, this will happen within the next month. I just need to drive across the border to Canada and pick up his springs. My 280Z Tokico springs are single rate for sure. I will rate check mine the next time I have some downtime and can pull them off the car.

One more thing... I think Cethern quoted the something wrong above. He said that he thinks the REARS are progressive, but all the reports of progressive Tokico springs have the fronts as progressive and the rears as single rate. Eibachs, on the other hand, are single rate in the front and progressive in the rear.

Jeff G 78

I had read that on a posted either here or at one of the other sites. I think the poster said he had called MSA and that was what they told him. I'll go back and take a look.

Thank you for the update on tokico.

Jeff

I had read that Tokico's were progressive. I went back to the thread where I read that and there maybe two different springs with the same part number? But then I could of miss-read the infomation.

I like those rates for the 280. Thanks Jeff for asking some questions. I had a hard trying to get through to the tech's at Tokico a while back and when I did I didn't think to ask them about the rates.

"Since he only gave me one rate, they SHOULD be single rate and not progressive."

My Tokico's were progressive in the front and linear in the rear. I should get a picture of them since the car is up in the air....again.

I have seen pictures of what look to be progressive front 5020 Tokicos on a 240Z and I don't doubt the owners. All I was saying is that Tokico does not CURRENTLY make progressive springs. The rates came right from the Tokico. Of course, Tokico doesn't actually make the springs. They are a brake and shock absorber company. They are made to Tokico's specs my a small company in the Carolinas.

Hopefully, I can get Geezer's springs rate checked soon and we will know exactly what the 5020F & R springs really measure.

Ive got that setup on my 77 and wouldnt do it again, the struts seem alright but the springs as most know are shorter and ALOT stiffer although Im getting old at 47 i would have likesomething in between the tokicos and stock! my 2 cents worth!

hope that i hear back from the company today to see what they will do as far as fixing this problem of the rear struts not working on this application. here is a pic of our rear strut tower all cleaned up with new poly bushings on the assembled part.

post-6449-14150800021116_thumb.jpg

Your car will ride like a brick.

can you explain why? i am new at all of this and the kit is still in the box and can be returned if need be. have you run this set already? or maybe know of someone that tried it and didn't care for it?

It's all personal preference sleepyzzz, and you should take any one person's opinion with a grain of salt. I'd probably get carsick in bpilati's car because to me it would ride like a Barkolounger.

I ran 200/250 springs on the street with a combo of poly and rod ends (all metal, no bushings at all, very stiff) and camber plates for years in my daily driver. I never had a complaint from a passenger, even my 70+ year old father, and it never bothered me a bit.

I believe that Motorsportdirect is in fact MSA in Orange, CA. They are just selling on ebay for more exposure. When they start calling their items "rare", I will really get pissed. "Rare" in ebay speak equals double what its worth.

nwcubsman - Is this the eBay store you were thinking about?

http://stores.ebay.com/Motorsport-Auto-Outlet-Store

Motorsportdirect shows a location of Las Vegas, Nevada

hope that i hear back from the company today to see what they will do as far as fixing this problem

I hope you get the issue resolved. I'll need to call and order mine from Arizona Z car for their springs.

Wayne