IGNORED

2008 Z Looks more like early ?

Mike

Well said. The 350 may be a great driving car but any genes it might have in common with an S30 is that the same company made them. That Ford could make a 2006 vehicle that actually looks like a Mustang is a cradit to their design department. Though the rear end needs work.

Hey xray, are those Z roller skates?

HA!LOL Yeah, HarborFreight specials...Great for pushing, pulling the empty Z chassis inside the garage--or in my case, getting it positioned for pick up to the body shop....

Back on topic...Don't get me wrong. My hood comment was a lame attempt at dry humor. The Z33 is evolving just like it should--dropping the better engineered VQ35HR engine in it is better for the Z line, and allows for even better FI options than already exist for the current 350Z. It'll compete with its current market much better, helping keep the Z from another period of "forced hibernation." I think we all agree that's in our collective best interest...

Most here don't like the 350 because it doesn't "respect its elders." Fine. I see your point, and mostly agree. But why should it? It's not like early Zs are getting 6-7 figure auction tallies like 428CJ Mustangs, hemi Cudas or Copo Camaros...why would Nissan bring back a design now doesn't create/invigorate the nostalgia similar to the muscle car era?

As for me, I'm saving my pennies for the Skyline....caught some spyshots posted on our local Z club website...the thing is lookin goooood..

http://www.trianglezclub.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1174

...8129...8130...8131...8132..sigh, lots more to go!

Steve

Oh, I am not even beginning to disagree with you there. Early on, in a prior thread I don't feel like dredging for, I mentioned that the designers at TVR got it even closer to spot on with their Sagaris and T350 designs, even better than the GR-1 did....My point is that the "feel good" retro market doesn't support (at least to Nissan, as it appears from my perspective) Nissan reverting to the classic design (unlike the Big Two and a Half's attempt at cashing in on muscle car nostalgia) for the 350Z. They rather keep up with current market trends as they see them.

Right or wrong, love it or hate it, the 350Z is a benchmark in its class for price/performance. Aftermarket, club and racing support is stellar and it's part of the tuner culture--all make for better bottom lines at dealers.

Am I buying one? No, probably not. I didg the classic GT curves. And if TVR gets their act together, my Skyline idea may go out the window...

...8336...8337...8338...8339..how much does that thing cost again?

Steve

so far, 350=bubblebutt. maybe in a few years....., however, they are still bubblebutt just like boxster, audi, chrysler, et alii--hey, MY car is still barely accepted by the true 240z purist as a sorta z car--i have 3 z31's--a 50AE, two 1986. they are heavier, larger, etc--just like all the other sporty cars did after the good thing took off--CHANGED. z32 was kinda sexy, 350 is still rounda--. bubblebutt. go figger--the artist did a nice pic, tho'

HA! ...

Most here don't like the 350 because it doesn't "respect its elders." Fine. I see your point, and mostly agree. But why should it? It's not like early Zs are getting 6-7 figure auction tallies like 428CJ Mustangs, hemi Cudas or Copo Camaros...why would Nissan bring back a design now doesn't create/invigorate the nostalgia similar to the muscle car era?

Steve

The only reaZon is the advertising ploys used. the car was touted as a direct descendandt, not a completely new direction. If you want to build on something in the past, and borrow from its presentation(and its name), make it apparent with an abundance of readily recognizeable styling ques, not words from an ad. You don't test drive an ad. You don't visualize an ad sitting in the garage, at the curb, or being marveled at by the ladies. You do all of those things with a car.

The visual relationhip between the 240Z and 350Z is like that of a pure blood dingo(THE DNA verified biological ancestor of all modern Dogs, and thus the only true pure breed) and an Afgan Hound. The blood line has been thined to the point that resemblance is almost gone.

While most owners with dogs entered in the Westminister Kennel Club think of the dingo as some low life misfit of the dogworld, and Nissan thinks Advertising the lineage of the 350Z as the 240Z is connnection enough. The 350Z shares one word with the 240Z, Nissan, but even Nissan is totally different. It is only a name recognition game.

WIll

rTake a look at these photos.

This is what was originally touted as the upcoming 350Z back then.

Then we got the "toad". Which you may argue isn't a toad because of it's agility, speed, and overall excellent fulfillment of a modern sports car--and to some people that is exactly what it does. And you can argue that it looks too much like other car(s) and has so little in common with the original Z that it should have been marketed under it's own marketing campaign instead of linking it to the original Z. And there you would begin to scratch the surface of what has every S30 enthusiast, who voices an opinion about this, up in arms over this.

The Concept Z and the 350 do share enough common traits to be able to discern the lineage. The Concept Z also shared enough traits with the original 240/260/280 S30 cars that it can still be noted. However, in the transition from Concept Z to 350, too many of the traits that allowed the Concept Z to claim the S30 as it's ancestor....were deleted or diluted...to the point that the S30 and the 350 don't appear to be from the same family.

The new Skyline however....

E

post-1490-14150798615229_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14150798615318_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14150798615399_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14150798615512_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14150798615714_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14150798616087_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14150798640793_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14150798640921_thumb.jpg

post-1490-14150798641018_thumb.jpg

If the 350Z looked like the original prototype, I doubt it would have sold as well as it has. It's pretty ugly really, and looked dated even when it came out.

Fact is the Z has always changed direction in terms of design and target market. Other than the 280ZX, what Z does look like the original S30? To me, the car quietly nods at its predecessors, as well as being an entirely modern design.

I'd love to see a retro-designed Z, but Nissan is a business, and in that respect, they got it absolutely spot on.

The first gen 300 Had interior and electrical pieces that were lifted right out of the 280ZX.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that Nissan did one thing, and we have no way of knowing with any degree of certianty that what they did had better or worse performance than what they could have done.

I see no "nod", I see the designers middle finger!

Will

having said that it is obvious I need to let this go...

Will

The first gen 300 Had interior and electrical pieces that were lifted right out of the 280ZX.

You can thank the bean counters / engineers for that, not the designers.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that Nissan did one thing, and we have no way of knowing with any degree of certianty that what they did had better or worse performance than what they could have done.

True. But the car surpassed the expectations of Nissan and has undoubtedly been a success. Every younger person I've spoken to about the Z33 loves it and thinks it looks great. It is the minority that think it is ugly.

You can thank the bean counters / engineers for that, not the designers.

True. But the car surpassed the expectations of Nissan and has undoubtedly been a success. Every younger person I've spoken to about the Z33 loves it and thinks it looks great. It is the minority that think it is ugly.

Ask a young person if it is related to a 240Z and the answer you get most often will absolutly make my point!

Will

I wasnt going to chime in on this thread as I'm in the group that doesnt care much for the 350's looks.

But, I had the opportunity to drive a friends new 350 last weekend on our local road course. And my impression changed once I was in the drivers seat. Looking out the window, you really don't notice the exterior of course. And man, what a perfomer. This was in the "enthusiast" model with the 5 speed auto tranny with manual shift mode. Sheeshh....it blew me away. Smooth seamless power, stiff ride up to about 65MPH then strangely the ride smoothed out. Could use a sway bar upgrade but I didn't push the car too hard.

I still don't care much for the exterior but what a great drivetrain and suspension combo. Phenomenal brakes. Beautiful interior.

I won't ever buy one till its appearance appeals to me. But I now really do see why it is so popular.

FWIW,

Chris A.