IGNORED

Need Advice, Worth Restoring?

350Z33

Walter Moore, thanks for the link with the parts list. I've dealt with Courtesy before and they're a great place. I didn't post the pictures of the random parts since I didn't think it would really help much, but here they are at your request:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1022/10005466xa.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8475/10005474zh.jpg

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/3015/10005493ro.jpg

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4867/10005507qw.jpg

The last couple pics are of some mods he was planning to install. That red intake is not the original either. He sold the original with a '73 he had.

Edit: As you said, I don't really plan to get this car in 110% condition. I would like to use it as a driver and not feel guilty if i don't wash it after every drive. I would like to use as many of the original parts as possible so I guess a lot of rebuilding of parts will have to be done if not in good condition (I don't mind worn seat bolsters). Glad to hear you didn't give up on your project. I'm guessing it feels great to look at something you restored yourself!

Hi Al,

Price...well. Now it becomes sticky. Me personally, I'd tell him to keep all the V8 stuff and offer him $1500 to $2000 for the chassis and ALL associated Z parts. If he wants you to take the V8 stuff I'd let him know firmly that you're interested in keeping it "Nissan", that you could buy a higher VIN numbered car if you wanted a V8 conversion. If he knows Z cars, he knows that the low VIN number could get him more money. BUT, if he's sat on this for years and is tired of looking at it, I'm a betting man that he'd take a lower price to see it off his property.

I really hope you can make it happen. I live in the rust belt and most of the 240Z's here are late 72's and 73's. I paid $2200 in 1995 for the car you see in my avatar. Exactly the way it looks except for the wheels and tires. The guy knew Z cars but just didnt have a place for it in his life anymore. So I snatched up a rust free example and I'm glad I did.

Keep us appraised on the deal Al.

Chris A.

26th

Those aren't "before and after" shots are they? Is that 27 and 26 or have you really finished restoring 27? Just curious.

oh and 350z33 - does they guy know what he's got or is he just wanting to get rid of a junker? If he doesn't know what it's worth your probing questions could give away it's value.

No offence to anyone here intended, but I really think that this project would be suited to someone with the initial intention of returning this car too its correct, former glory.

There are plenty of other year models out there which would make better candidates for what you want out of a project car, would be easier to get back to former glory and also probably cheaper and probably provide a better starting point.

Joseph

No offence to anyone here intended, but I really think that this project would be suited to someone with the initial intention of returning this car too its correct, former glory.

Joseph

Here, here! My thoughts exactly. I don't think there is anything wrong with restoring this to be a driver, but I think the Resto-Mod thing should be left to higher VIN numbers (my $.02).

Last year I was travelling all thie time. I was searching for a low VIN, but finally decided, what I really wanted was not stock at all. So, I bought the the cleanest car I could find. Got a really pristine '73 with an AT for a good price. I am going to make it into what I want and not feel the pressure to make it stock. If I had <#250, I would make it stock. Then it could always be gone through again to be concour if your desire changed. Seems to me to be a shame to make a very early car not stock. But I don't own it and it is just my opinion (only worth 2 cents if I'm lucky!)

PS, Grandpa, take me fishing!

Got your PM Al. Wow! What a lot of energy on this thread!

The pictures I posted are the "before" pictures of both the babes. 26th didn't look very bad at all when I took her apart two years ago. She is currently resting in primer. 27th is rusting comfortably in a tent in my back yard. I bought one of those metal framed storage tents and put down a crushed shell floor. As you all can imagine, these are l o n g t e r m projects!

For reference purposes, I paid $2,300 for 27th on eBay and it cost me $800 to have her hauled down from Dover, Deleware. That price reflects the VIN value. 26th was purchased in 1983 and there was VIN value in that sale, however much less. #248 is in pieces which lowers the value no matter what, however there is recovery value in the V8. I don't know about the "Scarab" thing. I would ask ZRush. My restorations will be mostly rehab of the original parts, however I don't get all wadded up about replacements. There are differences, but one simply buys the correct part - or make a replica. Then there is the whole issue of shocks, bushings, and rubber seals. I say just buy what is on the market and get the car on the road!

After looking at more pictures, Al, I would hop on a plane and go look at the car with some cash in my pocket. Give ZRush a holler and ask about the "Scarab" engine kit. Those prices I posted for cost of restoration will get you pretty close to a concours car. I don't think a Z is all that expensive to get to a show quality level.

Chris

post-4148-14150797721259_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150797721401_thumb.jpg

The owner said he has all the parts, but they're in boxes. Only thing not with it are the intake and carbs. Last time it was driven was ~1982 and it's been sitting there ever since. I guess I'd have to do a parts inventory to really see if everything is still there.

Don't feel bad my 240Z (HLS30-08323 08/70) was last driven in 1984 but more accuratley was last registered and inspected for the road in 1979! Just expect to do everything and you won't be dissapointed. Remember that they are not making anymore S30's and yours (potentially) is a low serial number and may have a 1969 production date?

Good luck.