IGNORED

Electric fan or new fan clutch/shroud for my 240z?

Jayru

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Hahaha... 😂  we in europe do not work with Lbs's or Psi's but even i know that are 2 different worlds, yes 16 Psi.. that's about right.. (little over 1 bar/ato.)  

Have you cleaned out the complete engine waterworks? maybe there is a lot of dirt/limestone in your coolingsystem.

How do you clean those passages? Do you need to remove the engine from the car?

16 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

How do you clean those passages? Do you need to remove the engine from the car?

No, you don't need to remove the engine for that.. why should you?  I would google for some stuff that cleans out your kitchen boiler.. i never had a engine that bad clogged.. get a advice of a good radiator shop, they have the expertise on this.. (ask for a descaler for your cooling system.)

• Agree 1

On 1/9/2022 at 11:07 AM, Mark Maras said:

If the fan clutch appears to be working properly, I think ceramic coated headers may help. Cliff reports the carbs staying cool to the touch using ceramic headers. If it were mine, I'd also pull a freeze plug or two to check the coolant passages for corrosion and build up. No one knows knows if Cal. Datsun ever cleaned the coolant passages in the block? 

Yes i will find out about this. My engine block is E88. I also took some pictures where you can have a glimpse of the heat shield, phenolic spacers and heat shield extension for your reference. No bubbles at the fuel filter.20220110_115044.jpg20220110_115322.jpg20220110_115044.jpg20220110_115213.jpg20220110_115044.jpg20220110_115349.jpg

Edited by jalexquijano
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2022 at 4:04 PM, Mark Maras said:

Will this be the final and concrete solution to your problem? No one here has a crystal ball as far as know and if they did they'd be looking for that unrusted barn find Z that most of us know is out there somewhere.

The shrouded fan(s) would seem to be the best solution, IMO, but but there has been some discussion at HybridZ lately about upgrading the alternator when using double fans.

Mark,

What if i decide instead of removing the cast iron manifold and replacing it with a header to install a twin electric fan and shroud? Will i need to upgrade my 60 amp alternator? If so which will be a direct and recommended replacement?

Edited by jalexquijano

Let's open these questions up to members who are much more knowledgeable than me. My thoughts are, if you go with a header, go with a ceramic coated one. According to Cliff his carbs stay cool. Unfortunately, I know even less about switching to a 60 amp alternator except that it seems to be recommended when using elec. fans, especially two of them.

• Agree 1

On 2/15/2022 at 10:31 AM, Mark Maras said:

Let's open these questions up to members who are much more knowledgeable than me. My thoughts are, if you go with a header, go with a ceramic coated one. According to Cliff his carbs stay cool. Unfortunately, I know even less about switching to a 60 amp alternator except that it seems to be recommended when using elec. fans, especially two of them.

Just to clarify my actual alternator is rated 60 amp. Will i need to look for a more powerfull alternator if i plan to install twin electric fans to reduce the heat during traffic jams?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cgsheen1 said:

A. What's the temperature in Panama? (closer to Phoenix, Arizona temperature or Northern Utah temperature?)

B. What's your WATER TEMPERATURE when you're sitting in traffic? (Is your problem with engine cooling OR heat soak in the carbs?)

I said what mine was sitting still in my garage, no air flow except the OE fan. I'm not sure he ever tried that but that would be the same as stand still traffic. This was 3 years ago...

post-24724-14150829443689.jpg

California Datsun engine sold to a guy in Panama. Move on, get a honest straight motor. 

You're walking over $100 bills to pick up a quarter.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2