IGNORED

Stock cam choice?

Arne

Nissan build a hydraulic engine/head (P90A) for the 1984 (?) Turbo. I bought this head from a guy that wanted a "trouble free" engine built with a hydraulic head. His theory was no valve adjustment. He also wanted a quiet-running engine. Someone told him to run a mild solid cam in this hydraulic head. I do not care what anyone says, THIS DOES NOT WORK! I have given up on this hydraulic head and made solid adjusters for the head.

To fully answer your question, ALL Datsuns had solid adjusters except for the 1984 Turbo. (And some of them were not hydraulic, so I am told) Some P90A heads came with solid adjusters from the factory. Who knows why!

I hope you have a supply of emulsion tubes, air correction jets and main jets. Your can will run like crap until you get the correct set-up. Once you get the carbs set, look out! This set-up really pumps some air/fuel mixture into your engine. Check it out with others. List what you have in your engine. Someone who has a similar engine can give you the jetting for your carbs. Good luck and stand on the loud pedal!

Mikunis are pretty easy, and everyone seems to run the OA jet block / emulsion tube, so that variable is pretty much removed from the tuning equation. So really you have pilots (VERY important), mains, airs, and last the pump nozzles (not nearly as important) and that's it. Get an O2 sensor in the exhaust, then you'll know for sure instead of trying to read the plugs or smell the exhaust. I used a narrowband one wire O2 sensor and read it with a $6 Harbor Freight voltmeter.

The Japanese P90a came with solid lifters. There is another way to convert them to manual adjustment, which I haven't done, but it sounds REALLY easy. You pull out the posts on the hydraulic head first. Now the normal ones don't fit, because the hydraulic head's posts are a different larger thread pitch. Someone on hybridz.org figured out that there is a helicoil that threads into the P90a head that fits the regular manual adjust posts. So that's all you need to do. Not sure if the rockers are the same, and you'd need some lash pads I'm sure, but the rest is just bolt in with those helicoils.

Sorry Arne for jacking your thread.

I called two manufacturers of heli-coils. They do not have the size we need. If someone can give me a "NUMBER for this heli-coil, I would appreciate it. No one seems to be able to do this. I am certain that people would be selling these helicoils on eBay if they were available. Where and what are they? Number? Manufacturer?

Nissan build a hydraulic engine/head (P90A) for the 1984 (?) Turbo. I bought this head from a guy that wanted a "trouble free" engine built with a hydraulic head. His theory was no valve adjustment. He also wanted a quiet-running engine. Someone told him to run a mild solid cam in this hydraulic head. I do not care what anyone says, THIS DOES NOT WORK! I have given up on this hydraulic head and made solid adjusters for the head.

To fully answer your question, ALL Datsuns had solid adjusters except for the 1984 Turbo. (And some of them were not hydraulic, so I am told) Some P90A heads came with solid adjusters from the factory. Who knows why!

That's the 1983 280ZX (not 1984) Turbo with the P90A Hydrolic Lifter head, have one out in my backyard under cover as we speak. I went and bought a solid lifter P90 that I'm having worked on right now, the P90A and engine are for future use (spares) or to sell some day.

Hey, I am old and dates mean nothing to us old guys! I figured it out after I sent the message that is why I put the (?) behind the year, got it? I have the poster in my garage. Why can't I remember these dates? 'Cause I'm old!

I went to both Helicoil and Timesert web pages. I could not find the size we need. I emailed them and called them. They told me this thread pattern we not available. (too large) I will pay anyone $20 if they give me a working number for this Timesert part. I will verify the number, of course. I know... "Here is the number, ZSaint. It is 12345XYZ. Pay me my money!"

How about earning yourself $20? Get the number for these threads!:devious:

I found the number in an old post I made. I bought a new computer in November and did not get the last of these posts. Here is the number:

Zcar Link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=614370&t=614229#reply_614370>

Verbiage: They're 1.5mm thread, as are the solid lifters. Hydro are 20 x 1.5 x 28 (total lifter length). Solid 18 x 1.5 x ~19mm.

www.timesert.com

The Timesert item number is 18153 (M18x1.5x18.3 INSERT)

Time Fastener Co

5301 Longley Lane

Reno, NV 89511

(775) 829-1026

Alex

I will pay myself $20 WHEN I GET THESE INSERTS FROM TIMESERT!:)

I found the number in an old post I made. I bought a new computer in November and did not get the last of these posts. Here is the number:

Zcar Link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=614370&t=614229#reply_614370>

Verbiage: They're 1.5mm thread, as are the solid lifters. Hydro are 20 x 1.5 x 28 (total lifter length). Solid 18 x 1.5 x ~19mm.

www.timesert.com

The Timesert item number is 18153 (M18x1.5x18.3 INSERT)

Time Fastener Co

5301 Longley Lane

Reno, NV 89511

(775) 829-1026

Alex

I will pay myself $20 WHEN I GET THESE INSERTS FROM TIMESERT!:)

This competition was rigged. ROFL