IGNORED

Z Hubcaps restored and on my Z

v12horse

I believe that a 195/70/14 will be closest to the stock circumference of 25" at 24.7". You can try different tire sizes to see how they will be different with this handy calculator:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

For sidewall looks, I like the BF Goodrich T/A series, as they have a pretty clean sidewall and are a great riding tire (I use them on my MGB):

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/traction-t-a-tires?

Hope this helps!

Edited by DougN

I agree that it is a good idea at times to resurrect these old threads. I did not even notice the original date of this thread but the topic caught my eye. I know that most every subject about early Z cars has been discussed at one time or another on this forum and you can use the search function. If you are not consciously looking for something specific you would miss out on some of these great old informative threads.

Moderators, I have a suggestion. Could we archive all these great how to threads in one area and have categories such as engine, tranny, suspension, wheels and hubcaps, seats, dash, console, etc to organize them in. That would make it easy for anyone that wanted to review all the great how to threads from the past. Perhaps you could use the rating system to determine which threads qualify to be added to the How To Section.

Just my two cents!

Thanks,

Edited by mgmoreau

Thanks Doug, very helpful. One of my other quests are the stickers that go on the original orange air cleaner - the main sticker is average at best on mine, and it looks there were two more, smaller stickers that have since worn. If anyone has any sources, it is appreciated. Thanks guys-a simple repaint has turned into a full resto!

Hey Jodus,

On your tire size question, I raised the same issue on another club forum. The original 175's did not have an aspect ratio on the tire. Here is the answer I got from Carl Beck:

"Actually I believe the original 175's were a 78 series radial. 78 series tires were pretty common stand in the US circa 1969/70

If you inflate an original 175 to the same psi and have it on the same rim - you'll find that the 195R70x14 is all be exactly the same diameter.

175R78:

175mm = 6.8897638 inch x 0.80 = 5.3742 inch times two= 10.7484 inch

10.7484 + 14 inch rim = 24.7484 inch

195R70

195mm =7.6771654 inch x 0.70 = 5.3739 inch times two = 10.7478 inch

10.75 + 14 inch rim = 24.75

FWIW,

Carl B."

Hope this helps,

Jim

Note - 195/70-14 are the correct height, but are generally considered to wide for a 4.5" wheel by the tire makers and their engineers. The later S30s that came with 195/70 also came with 14x5 rims to match, and the S130s (ZX's) used 14x5.5 with that size as well.

For the 14x4.5 I'd recommend 185/75-14 instead. Still about the stock diameter, but a better match for the narrow rim.