IGNORED

Z Hubcaps restored and on my Z

v12horse

I bought a set of restorable hubcaps off ebay not too long ago for a very reasonable price (35USD). I put about 40USD and a lot of time into them. I am very happy with the results, but they are not perfect. I have to thank Ed (DatsunZguy) for helping me with this project. His knowledge and inspiration is what started it all. I also wanted to thank Stephen for sending me the OEM lugnuts, and Wilber (guycali) for the steel wheels. I know this is not an awards show, but I just wanted to say thanks to these individuals.

If anyone is interested in restoring their hubcaps, I would be glad to give advice. Like I said, they are not perfect even though in the photo they may look near perfect.

-Ben :)

p.s. I want to put the Watanabe's on, but money does not permit for now. I love both looks. Now I need 175HR75 tires. :)

post-3738-14150795102036_thumb.jpg

post-3738-14150795102637_thumb.jpg

post-3738-14150795127541_thumb.jpg

post-3738-14150795128128_thumb.jpg

post-3738-14150795128681_thumb.jpg

They look good Ben. I know you've been wanting those for your Z for a long time. What are you doing with your slots, keeping them I hope. I'm still waiting for the body guy to prep my slots for the 240Z. I've grown tired of hub caps. I'm keeping them but need to add some jazz to the plain ol yeller

Z.

Vicky

Sorry Vicky, the slots are sold. I have the Watanabe's which will eventually go on the car. You know you have a Z when you have 3 sets of wheels for your car... I also have a nice set of 77-78 280z hubcaps. I think I am going fix them a bit and sell them.

I will make a thread on the whole process in the near future.

The taping was a little wiggly like 240zx mentioned. I was upset about it at first, but I was not about to start over and you really have to get close the hubcaps to tell. Some are better than others. I just hope the paint is durable. I am confident that it is as I restored my grill with the same paints and it has held up quite nice. Thank you all for the compliments.

-Ben

ben i am so excited for you i know how much you wanted those hub caps and they look awesome i love them! congratulations ben, we must go for a drive soon so i can see them up close. i also noticed you got those s30 plates you were talking about a while ago. beautiful package!

Ben, I also have tried my hand at restoring the Z hubcaps. Maybe we need to compare notes! I had a friend sandblast the worst ones, and scotch-brited the rest. I used Plasti-Kote #1543 charcoal gray, topped with a good coat of clear Krylon. What tape did you use for masking? Scotch 471 blue in 1/4" has really good 'curvature' properties for going around the scallops.