IGNORED

Thinking of installing an 81-83 5 speed

The first one I bought was only $77 and it came with the driveline, shifter, fork and throw-out bearing. After installing it and removing it 4 times in two days, I finally got to hear the bearings grinding and found out that It had a BAD main bearing.

The 5-speed that I found just down the road from me was the only one within 50 miles that was'nt $400+ dollars.

Snag that motor and trans for $150. you won't find a deal like that for a long time to come. Don't think, just do it! :stupid:

Dave

pull n save had $30 transmissions a couple weeks ago. I couldn't pass that up, I would have bought 2 but I let a friend know and he got the other.

I'm not worried about replacing bearings if needed. They are pretty easy to work on with the right service manual and common sense.

For the late 5 spd you can modify it for an actual short throw shifter.

late5spdalteredpivot.jpg

Then cut, drill and tap for a stud in a 4 spd shifter.

spacedshortthrow.jpg

This mod shortens the actual throw on a stock length shfiter from 5.5" to 3" 1-2 shift.

• 3 weeks later...
I just "inherited" a 1980zx non turbo. Is there anything good about this car's drive train to update my 1972 240z? or should I just junk it.
The distributor and electronic ignition is good to have, I have that system on my '71. Plus many people prefer the 5 speeds from these over the earlier units from the 280Z. The engine is a typical L28 with dished pistons and a round port head. Not bad, but nothing special. Not sure which diff that would have come with - R180 or R200.

I'm a big fan of that 5 speed. It's got a much closer 2-3 ratio than the earlier 5 speeds, and yet the 5th gear is a bit longer (taller) than the later 81-83. I'd suggest pairing it up with a 3.90 diffy, or a 4.11 if you like revs:)

I have the '82 and 4.11 in my '73 and it's a lot of fun.

I'm a big fan of that 5 speed. It's got a much closer 2-3 ratio than the earlier 5 speeds, and yet the 5th gear is a bit longer (taller) than the later 81-83. I'd suggest pairing it up with a 3.90 diffy, or a 4.11 if you like revs:)

By installing the 3:90 diff and the 79' 5-speed, I ended up with over 390 miles to the tank on our trip to Anaheim, CA from Washington State. Thats over 25 miles per gallon. Not bad for 153,000 miles on the 36 year old engine.

We had a blast and WILL DO IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR!!!

I met a lot of great people and customers.

Dave.

Am I thinking of this correctly?

When I think of a "taller gear" - I'm thinking of lower numerical ratio.... ie. a 3.364:1 is a taller gear than a 3.7:1 - right?

If so - then the 81/83 transmission has a 0.745:1 fifth gear, and the 80 transmission has 0.773:1 fifth gear. So fifth gear in the 80 transmission is NOT taller than the 81/83.

I'd leave the stock 3.364 in the car if you like lower rev.'s and better highway fuel mileage, or put the 3.545 R180 out of the 80ZX in.... for a little better off the line performance and still acceptable highway mileage.

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com