IGNORED

Thinking of installing an 81-83 5 speed

Hello all,

I'm considering doing the "Upgrade" to an 81-83 ZX Close Ratio transmission. I have the orig. 1977 5 speed now. It won't be till the weather gets nice again. I live in MN. so I still have her in storage right now.

I know that they are a direct bolt in and that I'll have to use the orig. '77 shift lever but I just thought I'd ask those of you that have already done this if you got any pointers or tips??? Also do any of you have any good leads on where to purchase them??

Junkyard junkyard junkyard...

Can't beat 'em at $75-150 depending on where you go and availability.

Of course you can't easily tell their condition.

On the other hand you might get real lucky and pull what turns out to be a dog leg "racing" tranny - it still happens occasionally. Happened to a friend of mine a couple months ago... lucky b&$#ard...

Full rebuild I've been quoted by some reputable folks several on here have already used is in the $650 neighborhood + shipping. But then again... Once you've gone through it there's no reason it shouldn't last a LONG time... Consider it an investment.

Tips? Victor L can do the job in no time flat with access to a vehicle lift.

If you're like the rest of us I HIGHLY recommend a tranny jack - got mine off eBay for $50 and what a time saver.

Other than replacing the obvious like clutch/throwout bearing/etc while you're down there you're right - it's a direct swap. Loc-tite on the driveshaft bolts... Polyurethane mounts for the tranny while you're at it? etc... basics...

Have fun,

-e

Agreed. Gotta have a tranny Jack :) I plan to drop out the original and install the fresh rebuilt 81-83 myself obviously. However, I do plan on having someone rebuilding it for me so I shouldn't have to worry about clutch,throwout bearing etc. I already got all poly bushings on my Z so thats done :)

Thanks ErickB

Jared, what are the throws like on the transmission you have now? Are they pretty long? Did all the zx cars have this transmission? I am just wondering because my project car has long throws, but it is from an 83, So shouldent the throws be shorter?

There is not a kit for sale (that I can find) to shorten the throws for the 81-83 5 speed either. The ratio seperation is better and the 5th gear is stronger for the 81-83 (close ratio) 5 speed which is the reason I went with the close ratio. The throws are not that bad ,IMO, anyway. Of course I had a `90 Saab 900 before the Z, they have long, sloppy, vauge throws, this trans feels great compared to it.

A short throw could be made with the shifter from a later 4 speed, some measurements and a drill press. There is room to put holes on the shifter tabs above the holes from the factory. The late 4 speed shifte lever has a longer distance from the bottom to the mounting hole that looks to line up where new holes could be drilled on the shifter tabs and still have enough metal around the holes for strength.

MSA does offer one, but it doesn't make it as short as if you installed it on a 77-78 5 speed....I installed it on mine, its very short...and if you had any machine exp. you could make this kit yourself. it just raises the pivot points where the shifter bolts through, so the pivot is higher (and movement is shorter)...I'm sure you could get it to be much shorter by making one.

Yes, MSA has 3 versions, 1 for the early 4 speed, one for the 77-78 5 speed, and one for the later 5 speed to 1983. Its right in their catalog. It even says that the later 5 speed throws are longer than the earlier one.

I personally debated the early vs. later 5 speed and I am happy with the earlier one....with the exception of possibly problems down the road with the 5th and reverse on the same leg....its exactly like my 4 speed was, just it has a 5th gear now. Instead of 4400 rpm at 70 mph, I get 3200 at 70 mph, which is what I was looking for on those drives to the beach!

I really have to recommend the upgrade to a 5 speed, if for nothing else, the synchros are just kick butt compared to my stock original 4 speed. The shifts are so much sharper and precise, one of the few upgrades I've done, and I'd recommend it for anyone that has a 240z with the 4 speed. The driving experience couldn't be better.

Errr, does anyone want to buy my 4 speed tranny? heh.