IGNORED

1970 Engine?

Here's another series 1 block code:

L24 026475 P30 01/71 VIN HLS30-20123 0727L

I've added it to the spreadsheet and attached it here.

I might have missed it in the thread but does anyone know what the Alpha character at the end of the code means?

John

Edited by JohnnyO

I might have missed it in the thread but does anyone know what the Alpha character at the end of the code means?

I was kinda waiting for an answer on that as well. I speculated a page or so ago that it may be an "hour code"? When I was in the food processing business, we would print the "daycode" (month day and year) as well as an "hour code" (which WAS designated by a letter), so we could determine EXACTLY WHEN (within a two-hour period) our product was produced if we had to trace backward for whatever reason.

anyone?

Regards,

astrohog

• 2 months later...
Amazing what you learn on this board. When 2-4-T-Z-Man started talking about a number on the block on the drivers side, I thought he was off-the-wall, but I just went out and looked at my block and there it is! E31 on the block, with a raised 9901F beside it. The actual block number is on the raised pads on the passenger side rear of the block (see pic attached - mine is block 2465). The 9901F must be some kind of casting run number or something. I've never seen it before. I have an engine out of a 1978 280Z sitting in my garage, and it says N42, and has a raised number that I can't read (position is bad, and I can't raise the block off the floor right now). It looks like 5 or 6 digits. So, I know it isn't the block number (i.e., not the XXXXXth block made), but I don't know what it is...
MDBRANDY I would be interested in trading for or buying the N42 cylinder head. The plan is for a triple carb 3.2 stroker and that is the cylinder head of choice. That is if you have no other plans for it. I have many parts so if a trade is what you are interested in just let me know what you need. If a sell outright is better let me know what you are asking for it. I can be reached at edtwomuchz@gmail.com. THANK!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Great thread and bit of a bump.

Here is something worth adding about HS30's sold in Australia.

HS30 00204 had L24 - 018042.
HS30 00208 had L24 - 018074

So quite a large range difference between engine no. and chassis, a few later cars had:

HS30 00291 had L24 - 021354
HS30 00297 had L24 - 021352

So kind of gives you an idea as to how haphazard engine blocks were assigned to cars in the factory.

• 7 years later...

This thread has been revived numerous times over the past 20 years…. I’ve read it myself on several occasions over the past 2 decades  as more information has been added, 
      Noticed on the last post ”previous post”  concerning something out of place, with a picture of vin 51s engine block number…. Maybe looking too uniform, and yes it is straight, unlike most other engine block numbers.     Sloppyness, or just difficult to hand strike, or done at end of of hard day while enjoying a stiff drink?

I”ve attached the block code from other side, that is in line with production date of this car to hopefully dispel the question of why block “assigned” number is stamped in a straight line.    
   Please don’t take this post with any animosity towards anyone, it is just to hopefully clear, or dispel thoughts of any bad deeds done before concerning this car.757271B6-FC5D-4788-BADE-54981C7C8D6C.jpeg26EF9734-EC12-4D0F-B758-0FB67B2D6A2E.jpeg9FA3027E-F4CD-49CF-B0FF-20DC84E2E288.jpegB816F671-C1DA-4CF6-894A-9A0563717CE4.jpeg

On 2/3/2017 at 5:57 PM, Gav240z said:

Here is a fun game of spot the odd 1 out in this sequence of photos. Sorry about the different angles (I didn't take all these photos) but I thought I'd see if anyone else can spot something that might look out of place here :).

@Gav240z  What is the "odd 1"?  I assume the difference is very subtle.  Can't find much.