IGNORED

1970 Engine?

I just noticed that the first 7 engine numbers in Carl's list do not have a '00' in front of the numbers like 004621. Photos in post 7 & 73 show this. I went to the garage 3 times to verify the double 0's before posting. The 2 exceptions would be ol'red70 and abas. Was this done to prevent forgery? Another mystery?

Bonzi Lon

Hi Bonzi Lon,

Thank you for the link of the thread,that is wonderful.I now want to ask Nissan Shatai

which the answer is "engraving or stamping" for the body serial number.How about for the engine serial number?

Thank you Car, you pointed out the Font, yes they are different.

Not in the Yokohama factory, it would have happened in the dealer,I see.

In that case,vice versa could happen, i.e. a 1969 car could have a later block with P30 or what ever with engine serial number L24-002### with different Font.

And in that case, how about fitting with a head, are they (E31 head with P30 block or E88 head with E31 block) docking each other without any problem?

I have heard my friend saw a Z432 it has an engine without engine serial number.The owner told my friend not for sure but maybe the engine was replaced some time ago.

kats

Edited by kats

Mike,could "X" indicate Oct ? 9X04C and 9X04F they are making me think of that.

More earlier L24 has 99##@ and next groupe would have 9X##@.

I tend to think they used X for Octber, Y for Novenber, Z for Decmber.

I am waiting some reports about the casting code which has Y and Z.

Kats,

Yes, the X would make sense for Oct, since it also means 10 in Roman numerals and Oct is the 10th month. I would also like to see what they used for November and December castings. Maybe they just didn't cast any engines in those months to avoid problems with their code, or they just coded them as October :).

Lonestreesteve,

I am curious if your early engine with the later stamping had the early reinforced oil pan or not. Do you remember seeing a patch welded on the right side of the oil pan?

-Mike

.......... Lonestreesteve,

I am curious if your early engine with the later stamping had the early reinforced oil pan or not. Do you remember seeing a patch welded on the right side of the oil pan? -Mike

Mike,

I don't recall seeing one, but it could have been there and I just didn't see it.

If I can find the contact info for the guy I sold the engine to, I'll ask him and post what he tells me in this thread.

Steve

Thank you Car, you pointed out the Font, yes they are different.

Not in the Yokohama factory, it would have happened in the dealer,I see.

In that case,vice versa could happen, i.e. a 1969 car could have a later block with P30 or what ever with engine serial number L24-002### with different Font.

Yes. If the engine was replaced with a Factory New short block - the Dealer would have stamped a serial number on that block - usually with a different set of dies, that had a different font style.

And in that case, how about fitting with a head, are they (E31 head with P30 block or E88 head with E31 block) docking each other without any problem?

The Factory supplied Complete New L24 engines and they also supplied New L24 "short blocks". That would be an engine without a new head and without new exterior items like oil pump, water pump, front timing cover, etc.

If a short block was needed/used the additional parts from the original engine were put on the new short block. Yes all exterior parts from either the E31 or P30 were interchangable.

I have heard my friend saw a Z432 it has an engine without engine serial number.The owner told my friend not for sure but maybe the engine was replaced some time ago.

I would guess that would be quite possible.

Here is a picture of the serial numbers stamped by the factory in a late 71 production 240Z. You can see that the factory font is the same as the earlier factory font. {the shape of the "0" and "6"}

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150812310138_thumb.jpg

This got me excited, so I just checked my numbers matching 1970 (production was 2/70.)

Chassis Serial: HLS30-01704

Block Serial: L24-4375

Block Casting: 9Y01A

So that would be - November 1st, 1969 apparently.

Cool, I'm glad to see a 9Y code. That solves the mystery of the 11/69 castings.

It looks like all but one of the engines in Carl's summary have a code indicating they were cast before or during the month on the door tag. I wonder why AZ-240z's 01/71 car would have a code of 1616L? That should mean the engine was cast in June 1971.

-Mike

Thank you Carl.

Jon,

I am also excited about seeing 9Y code.

As Mike told us, I was thinking same way. They would have made enough blocks before entering Nov and Dec.

Do you all remember production figures in 1969 for S30?

[May D 1, E 1]

[ Jun D 1, E 0]

[Jul D 2, E 2]

[Aug D 6, E 1]

[sep D 9, E 2]

[Oct D 48, E 52]

[Nov D 214, E 388]

[Dec D 688, E 97]

D is domestic,E is export model

I have been kept wondering Long time since we got this infomation from Nissan Shatai,

why in Dec 1969, they suddenly slow down making S30 for export?

In this case, that is 240Z (Left hand and Right hand) while domestic S30 was increasing

its figure good,what happened for 240Z?

I have heard some Nissan people like Mr.K, Mr.Matsuo, Mr.Uemura e.t.c. they all told me 240Z had to stay in Japan(I guess factory or port) in late 1969 because of some problems had to be solved.They were not pointed me out ploblems exactly, but from the test report in Oct to Dec 1969 in North America, the crew reported vibration and road noise, and steering kick back were main ploblem at that time.

I still do not know, How many 240s had to stay?Where were they staying?

What kind of work (replacement parts) had 240Zs received especially the cars Oct - Dec which already rolled out ?

When Nissan released those export 240Z ?

And, about the block,I guess there were only few Dec 1969 casting block made because of these "HOLD 240Z" at Japan.

Even they would have stopped making in Nov when Nissan judged the Holding,it could be happend Nissan would have enough blocks for the rest of cars running in the assembling line.

kats

Edited by kats