IGNORED

Donations for RedBird-"Somethings wrong"

Mark Maras

As I've followed the ongoing story of RedBird's gremlins, I've often wished I could just be there to get my grubby mitts on them, as I'm sure a lot of you have too. Several members have generously donated their time and parts to help out and continue to do so. There is an ongoing problem of a dying engine, only to restart again in 10 minutes. The most urgent problem to be dealt with is a slipping clutch. This repair should be made ASAP, as she's now driving borrowed transportation. To my knowledge a 76 doesn't have an adjustable rod and this clutch has been slipping for at least a year. The answer, it would seem, is a new clutch. Jai, Redbird's soulmate and daily driver, is on fixed income and has limited mobility. RedBird is her second Z, RedWing being the first. (RedWing is currently being restored by a member) Jai has driven a Z most of her adult? life. Jai could use all of our help getting RedBird back on the road..

I can't be there, like most of you, so I thought that we could help, from afar, by starting a "go fund me"  for repairs. My guess is a "clutch job" will run around $500.00, give or take. A little extra to sort out the other gremlins would be a real blessing. Not a vast sum of money, unless one doesn't have it. We can transfer our donations thru PayPal using Jai's email address.  onesupercatmensa@gmail.com. This is a golden opportunity to help out a fellow? Z owner and feel good about ourselves too. A real WIN, WIN for all. Jai and I will keep a running total to let everyone know how we're doing.

Thank you all.

Mark

RedBird update.

I've been looking at clutch kits for Jai. Does anyone have a recommendation on what brand is good for a daily driver? Partsgeek has a LuK kit $90.28 (includes shipping). On-line reviews are pretty good. Has anyone used this brand in the past? Beck-Arnley is a well known brand but will run 40-50% more. Greg has given Jai the name of a trusted mechanic that will do the job for $250.00 and Jai supplies the parts. Great news.  Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

The Exedy kit is a very good oem replacement clutch.  I have used them on two z cars without issue.   Amazon is a great source for it.

https://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-06009-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B001B5D7TE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487631287&sr=1-1&keywords=exedy+clutch+280z

Her flywheel will definitely need to be resurfaced, if the labor price she was quoted holds, she might get away with about $400

• Like 3