IGNORED

L24 Rebuild -Again!

madkaw

Progress is such a sweet thing. It was time to do the bore notching. After watching how Cliff's notches came out I knew I could do better on mine. My Z buddy just happen to have a small sanding drum set. The biggest drum was 2" and he also had a 1" . It was almost too easy with 80 grit paper on the drums. Just used my cordless drill and it was very manageable and very quick. I didn't even burn up one drum doing all 12 notches. I used the 2" drum for the intake notch and the 1" for the exhaust.As I advised cliff I went conservative-especially since I'm already 30 over on the bore. Anyway, I very happy the way they turned out.

I scrubbed the engine down twice after kicking up sand and started in with assembly. It's was quite a change shoving pistons down in a hole with only .00015 clearance as opposed to .0045. Even with this tight clearance on the piston/cylinder- my rings(Total Seal) still gapped at the upper limits. It's obvious that though Total Seal sells these as file fit, they didn't leave any extra on there. The other surprise to me was when I measure deck height on the pistons. Even with taking .005 off the top off the block the pistons were only .004 above deck. I think these pistons were Sealed Power units. I was expecting to find them around .020 above deck. So the Sealed Power pistons were oversized on the skirt and not as tall .  Time to move on.

Dropped the crank in there with new Clevite bearings and mounted up all the pistons in the block.

It doesn't seem like a whole lot, but for me it was big. Less parts laying around to get lost and dirty. Sent a pic to my machinist to tell him I am waiting on him now-I need my head-NOW.

I have also been be working an l28 at the same time. It won't take much to get done. Should be a good cleaning, fresh rings and bearings and a fresh cylinder head. 

post-6833-0-34384900-1430072081_thumb.jp

post-6833-0-14022000-1430072105_thumb.jp

post-6833-0-54927300-1430072127_thumb.jp

post-6833-0-97159800-1430072153_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I've spent some time in the south.  Y'all is a useful term, and has no simple equivalent.  Also spent some time in the Philly area.  Around West Conshohocken, and King of Prussia.  Drank more than a few Yuenglings in Manayunk.

Yeah, yeah, you're right... I got no room to talk when it comes to regional dialects. It just seemed odd to me that someone from the upper Midwest was tossing y'alls around. So you'ze guys can all fuggetaboutit.

Zed Head, I'm not far at all from where you spent your time here. If you get back to the area I'd be happy to partake in a few Yuenglings with y'all!!  :)  Although, now there's Conshohocken Brewing now which blows the socks off Yuengling... Might not have been open back when you were here (if you were in the area before the brewing "renaissance").

It was the late 90's.  The microbrews were happening but I don't remember Conshohocken having a retail beer although I do seem to remember a place across the Schuylkill (yes folks, all of these names are real), that had a microbrewery inside.  I think they were only house beers then, maybe.  

That was back when you could only buy beer from those big drive-through beer warehouses, a case at a time.  Always felt like I was talking to mob people when I went there.  The Philly area has many unique attributes.  Like a "normal" pizza is just crust and cheese.  What do you want all of that other stuff on there for?