IGNORED

New owner of a very early 240Z

metalmonkey47

Well guys, this is my first Z but not my first Datsun. I've had an '81 210, and a 75 620 with a build LZ22. I came across this 240Z from a customer at work, who I've been helping along for years, hoping one day he'll remember me if he ever decided to sell it. Fortunately, the day came.

I picked up this car so cheap, I won't say because I'm afraid I'll break someone's heart. She's a 100% legit 03/70 with a vin of 2563. Yep, Pretty freaking early since the '69's vin ran up to somewhere in the area of 1700. It's complete, and seems to have an original 55,000 miles! No worn pedal pads, dash has one small crack, seats are good except some small cracking, interior is complete minus carpet, etc etc. Hell the car is still equipped with the factory exhaust, minus the edition of a cool looking muffler at the end.

Enough with the info though, I can get back to that in a little bit. I'm hoping someone can weigh in on the 'rarity' of such an early Z.

Here's a simple picture my girlfriend took after we picked her up. It needs a wash, and a new front bumper (looks like someone tried to tow it)

post-30371-14150828213067_thumb.jpg

Hey Metal Monkey, congratulations on the nice Zed! Finding an early Vin car in good shape is fairly rare, however I don't think it is a low enough VIN to be worth any more because of the fact. It is still pretty cool though! Post lots more pics, especially of the rust prone areas, and you have to tell us what you paid for it!

Welcome to the site,

Mark

...since the '69's vin ran up to somewhere in the area of 1700.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70796[/ATTACH]

Congratulations! I don't understand what you mean. The total number of HLS30s built in 1969 is far less than 1700 - far less. Your car is on Carl Beck's registry Classic Z Car Register

Looks like you will be having fun with your early car.

sell it to me so you can put some paint on that 620. Im curious as to how it made it from

glendale az to atlanta. anybody know dean tilton? maybe he'd be interested in where it is

now.

edit: Dean Tilton passed away. i do believe this car was his pride and joy.

Dean Tilton Obituary: View Dean Tilton's Obituary by The Arizona Republic

Edited by hr369

Thanks guys! You've been a lot better off so far then Hybridz (I hate that place after 2 posts) Everyone there could only tell me to V8 swap it. Annoying.

Sad to see Dean passed away, I was hoping to learn a little about the history on the car. Sadly I don't think I ever will.

Anyways, the car came to me for $1000. It's got some VERY strange wiring issues that I've been sorting through. About 12 hours with a meter and I've managed to restore function to the headlights, turn signals, hazards, and brake lights. The wipers are dead slow (which might be in the motor) and something is drawing a massive load on the left turn signal. Got a little smoke from the switch so i need to figure that out.

The car is 100% rust free except some small holes under the drivers side seating area. About the size of a tennis ball on both sides. Minor, and an easy fix.

Other then the issue with the wiring that resulted from some half arse 'mechanic' playing electrician, the car came to me with a blown head gasket, trashed half shafts, and missing hatch. All of which have been rectified. The L24 is SUPER responsive with an N47 head on it. The E31 sustained some damage which will be repaired in the future and put back on the car with some power adders. The hatch is in paint, and halfshafts were replaced with some off of a parts car. Soon I'll have fresh U joints in them and I'll be driving this puppy every day.

For now, here are some more pictures. Please keep in mind, this car is all original and un-restored.

_DSC1634_zps2adbd259.jpg

temporary_zpsb355ce55.jpg

_DSC1638_zps98572676.jpg

_DSC1639_zpsb873d821.jpg

_DSC1640_zps50d5d1f7.jpg

_DSC1641_zpscd77f18b.jpg

_DSC1642_zps2ba6a799.jpg

_DSC1644_zps671de3c4.jpg

I see you found your way over here, Matt. Did you get the electrical gremlins worked out?

By the way guys, he's not joking about the price he paid for it.

Hey Steven, nice to see some locals over here.

Turns out the majority of the issues are a result of some home grown GA ghetto mechanics. Several wires out of the fuse block were mutilated and chopped up, then put back together with wiring nuts. No bueno. I've been tracing wires, and I'm very familiar with the function of almost every wire in a Series 1 now. Not something I'm proud of having to know... I still have an issue though, when the hazards are on they flash very fast, then slow down which indicates a short somewhere (drawing extra current, slowing down the load flasher) with the left side turn signals on, I did get a little smoke out of the turn signal switch so I know it's somewhere on that side of the car.

Just some random pics of some of what I've had to deal with.....

temporary_zps78c81a5f.jpg

temporary_zps6a160f7c.jpg

That's a nice looking Z!

Chuck

Thanks man!

Hi Metal Monkey,

The wipers are notoriously slow on a dry windshield and will park high. Probably the least of your worries right now. Many early Z's were hacked into race cars due to their lighter weight. This only increases the rarity of a Series I restoration candidate.

Current price premium for a Series I can easily be swamped by condition issues. That said, last year a Classic Motorsports Magazine article listed the Series I car first on their list of affordable classic cars with potential to appreciate. Their recommendation was to preserve them for next owner rather than attempting to restore today.

You say you have acquired a hatch. Series I hatches have vents and defroster lines running vertically. Later hatches will work just fine - only brought it up for future potential restoration issues.