IGNORED

? Centerforce 1 or OEM Clutch? Which to Use?

Hi Everyone:

I'm getting ready to install a rebuilt L24 in my car and I'd like to get your ideas on whether I should used a stock Nissan OEM clutch assembly or should I go with a Centerforce I assembly. The car will be a street only car, but will see some "spirited" driving.

Does anyone use the Centerforce I setup, and how do you like it? Is it significantly better than the stock OEM assembly? Thanks in advance for any information you care to share on this.

Thank you,

Carl

About 11 years ago I had a Honda Accord that I autoxed and I put in a Centerforce clutch. Made a world of difference in that car! The feel was just like the stock clutch as far as pedel action but damn that thing had grip. I could a stock clutch slip if I tried but even under the worst of conditions I could not make the Centerforce slip (keep in mind that it was only a 4cyl). Most of the time this was a good thing...but there was one time that slippage would have been better. Stupid, under the influence, young, etc...I was coming home from a club one night and almost missed my turn so I slammed on the breaks and shifted hard from 4th to 2nd at 60mph and totally blew the clutch to pieces (sadly it was only a few months old). When the shop took it apart they laughed and said that they run these in their race cars and had NEVER seen anything like this before. Just goes to show that we all do stupid things sometimes...fortunately I have grown up a lot in the past 11 years.

Bottom line here, I like them a lot but have no basis of comparrison on a Z.

While we're talking about clutches I was wondering if I could get some advice as well. I'm swapping a T5 into my 71 and was wondering which clutch to use. I have the stock one, the one that came with the T5, or I could get something like that centerforce I clutch. Any opinions?

If you plan on your "spirited driving" on the back roads and not on an auto-X track I'd go ahead with the stock set-up. If you plan on open track days or more than one auto-X a year, I'd go with the Centerforce.

I don't know what mine is like as it's still in the box waiting for the car to be put back together.....

FWIW, many of the IT racers around here used to use a stock pressure plate and a different clutch plate(usually a puck type), while others used a completely stock set-up...what they run now is anybodies guess.... I raced the 280 for 5 years with a completely stock set-up with no problems. As long as you make sure the pedal travel and adjustments are close, you shouldn't have too much trouble.:ermm:

200 or so versus 130 or so... not a huge difference in price...:ermm: but a substantial one.....

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

If you plan on your "spirited driving" on the back roads and not on an auto-X track I'd go ahead with the stock set-up. If you plan on open track days or more than one auto-X a year, I'd go with the Centerforce.[/quote

Thanks for the reply, Keith

No track days, and probably no AutoX.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

... I raced the 280 for 5 years with a completely stock set-up with no problems. As long as you make sure the pedal travel and adjustments are close, you shouldn't have too much trouble.:ermm:

200 or so versus 130 or so... not a huge difference in price...:ermm: but a substantial one.....

Yeah, I could use the $70 towards the electric fan I want to add.

Some folks on the mail list have suggested a 280Z P/P and Disc. But they don't mention whether you have to use a 280Z T.O. Bearing and/or Collar with the 280 P/P and Disc. I'd hate to use the wrong parts and have to take the sucker apart again. Anyone have experience with using 280Z P/P and Disc on a 240Z?

Carl,I vote OEM any chance you get.That list gets smaller each day.When the day comes I have no option but to settle for "other" then that decision will have been made for me.I'm like you weekender street.I alway rib my "datsun dealer" guys by saying, Man you buy a new car and 30 YEARS later you need replacement parts!Can't you make one that will last?

If were planning on changing to a low rear gear and a 5 speed and a few other changes that would put a lot more strain on the clutch, then I'd go for the Centerforce on the street for sure though, call it insurance.......

As far as the 280 clutch question goes, I think you would need to use the TO bearing and collar that coincides with the clutch that you are using, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I know if you change from a B type 4 speed to a B type 5 speed you use the 5 speed collar and rest of the arm, but whether that is because of the differences in the clutch height or the transmission case and it's throw out arm geometry is one that would need to be researched.....:ermm: Guess you got me on that one.....:cross-eye

then my choice would NOT BE CENTERFORCE.

ive heard and seen to many horror stories from them. ie not holding up to pressure, not holding together, exploding clutch discs and the like. not that this is always true and has always happened but it has happened and in more then enough instances that you couldnt give me a CF clutch. :ermm:

if you dont want to go OEM, then i would choose something better imo, which is ACT or CLUTCHMASTERS, and or EXEDY's new DAIKIN line.:classic:

my advice stay away from CF, they really arent all that!:finger:

Originally posted by ZmeFly

then my choice would NOT BE CENTERFORCE.

...........if you dont want to go OEM, then i would choose something better imo, which is ACT or CLUTCHMASTERS, and or EXEDY's new DAIKIN line.:classic:

I believe that the one I got from MSA last year, which started to chatter upon release after just 3 months is a Daikin brand kit. I'd like to get a unit that will perform properly much longer than what I'm currently stuck with.