IGNORED

Video recommendation: "My Mechanics" restores a 240Z

florian

• 2 months later...

6 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Terrific, a video done by a craftsmen with no intro, no irritating back ground music, short, sweet and useful. Youtubers could learn a lot from this guy.

Anyone anything about that mini sandblaster he was using?

I agree an excellent video. I am also curious about his little blaster

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this, it was an intoxicating watch.  The first video exemplifies what I love about these cars - that those of us with above average mechanical aptitude can take these cars apart with a good metric toolset.  Putting them back together, well, that's what the FSM and thousands of digital photos are for.

• Haha 1

If a source could be found for the rivets then this might be a possibility for others to follow. I also suspect his press is pretty strong like 30 or 40 tons or more.

It is also amazing how much movement he has even with the tight tolerances of the rebuilt hinge. I assume it's just a function of how many connections there are and the tolerance stacking

• Agree 3

He made those rivets on a lathe. You're not going to find them off the shelf anywhere. Someone would have to custom make them.

And the machine he uses to peen the rivets is more than a simple straight down press. It's more like an impact hammer and press combined together to swage the rivets. If you listen, you can hear the buzzing sound of the impact.  This guy has access to lots of machines.

And your comment about the tolerance stackup is spot on. Each connection needs a tiny bit of clearance in order spin and the stackup causes that play. 

I've got machine shop envy.  :excl:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, inline6 said:

Ditto.  It would be awesome to have access to that little sand blaster, the lathes, sheet metal brake, Beverly shear, etc.

Me three.  The process videos look like he stuck his video camera up to the view window of a commercial CNC machine.  Not unlike some of the machines we have at work, which can easily cost up in the six figures and sometimes seven.  The videos are also very well produced, as others have already mentioned.