IGNORED

Taillight Gasket Exhaust Leak?

chaseincats

1 hour ago, chaseincats said:

The taillight was the only area in the back that had leaks except for one strange spot - the 2 holes in the gas flap.  I didn't know those had access to the body but I guess they do?  The two spots are usually plugged with rubber bumpers for the gas flap to close on if memory serves.

Your memory is correct. As for access to the body, if you think about it, the filler neck goes through the fender. At that point, the neck is above the rear floor, so it briefly runs through the cabin on it's way down to the tank. Those two holes shouldn't pull in exhaust, though.

Update:

The seal 'n peel arrived.

I put an outline of it on the housing, let it sit for 10 min, plopped the gasket on top, then put an outline on the car body and popped the lights in.  I set them in with the bolts finger tight, waited about 30 minutes, then cranked them in (but that part wasn't on the directions), and now we wait.

I will probably use a bunch of duct tape to bridge the body to the housing from the inside of the car as well once everything is dry and in retrospect, this might be all you need to do haha.

More to come.

Edited by chaseincats

2 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Fingers crossed.

How will you know? Just using your nose to verify, or do you have a smoke machine?

I'll just use my nose.  If I still smell it I'll seal it with tape and if that doesn't work I'll see if my friend can borrow the smoke machine again.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 5:14 PM, chaseincats said:

You didn't use the pre-made ones from a Z parts distributor?

SORRY for the late reaction but my internet provider was being stupid again... AAARRGGHH...  I tested for free some days tv via internet and decided it's no good.. so i told them to stop it and... they stopped the complete internet connection!  ( They have the IQ of a BRICK! 🥵)

It's not fun to have no internet for a week! Especially when your sick and on your own..... 😒

To answer your question.. i had the orig. seals but to be sure it is water tight (and fumes tight) i used some of the window sealer that stays soft. If i ever have to remove them they come off easy and the soft rubber can be scraped off easely.
But i believe you have already finished the job.

Edited by dutchzcarguy

8 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

SORRY for the late reaction but my internet provider was being stupid again... AAARRGGHH...  I tested for free some days tv via internet and decided it's no good.. so i told them to stop it and... they stopped the complete internet connection!  ( They have the IQ of a BRICK! 🥵)

It's not fun to have no internet for a week! Especially when your sick and on your own..... 😒

To answer your question.. i had the orig. seals but to be sure it is water tight (and fumes tight) i used some of the window sealer that stays soft. If i ever have to remove them they come off easy and the soft rubber can be scraped off easely.
But i believe you have already finished the job.

That sounds like the seal 'n peel clear silicone sealer we ended up using

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: So I drove the car today after letting the sealnpeal cure for 7 days like it says on the package and I'm happy to say it is CONSIDERABLY better.  The only time you smell exhaust now is if you really give it some gas.  We are going to give it another smoke session to see where the final culprit is but this is definitely something everyone should do.

As a side note, this did allow me to now notice there's a gas smell periodically.  The interesting thing is though, you will only smell gas near the fuel pump when the car is running - with the car off the smell disappears.  I smelled outside the right rear tire after shutting the car off and it is pretty noticeable but no gas smell coming from vapor tank area at least when the car is off.  Any ideas what to check?  I'm assuming the answer is 'all the fuel pump hoses' but I just don't understand how the car can smell while running but a split hose somehow seals itself when the car is off.

• Like 1