IGNORED

280z 1976 fuel pump saga

darom

Hi guys,

It seems that bad karma is following my 76's fuel pumps. After 4 years, the MSD 2225 fuel pump quit on me (installed vertically), I bought a new one, that one lasted less than a year (same orientation). Due to the covid supply issues, instead of waiting for a warranty replacement (weeks), I decided to replace it with the Ultra-power's E8312 unit. I installed it in November in the horizontal position after reading a lot of people saying that it should be horizontal as close to the bottom of the fuel tank line as possible. In all my cases there is a small see-through fuel filter installed just before the pump. The fuel is clear, no rust. I use non-Ethanol fuel. The car ran great, after a few test runs last year, I left the full tank of non-ethanol gas, and stored the car for the winter. Yesterday, I found out that the pump is dead. I register voltage at the terminals (while cranking 10.4V). Applying direct 12V from the battery positive to the pump's terminal doesn't make it run. It is still under 1 year warranty, I just ordered a replacement one.

Now I have a question. Should I trust the MSD brand and install my new replacement MSD fuel pump or try my luck with the E8312 unit? The only pain is that MSD doesn't come with a 90 degree fuel hose connector.

What is the killing factor of fuel pumps in my case? Cold winters of Wisconsin?  The car is in the non-heated garage (maybe it gets in 20-30s F inside). Or just bad luck?

Thanks!

Did you originally have the factory Bosch pump on the car? I know a lot of folks have gone the cheaper route with aftermarket pumps. A lot of threads out there with the aftermarket pump issues. 

• Like 1

@siteunseen The picture was taken when I just installed the pump. The pre-filter is full of fuel - that was the first thing I checked this morning. It has become a habit to check on rust coloring of the inside of the tank.

@Yarb The previous car owner replaced the original Bosch with an Autozone unit (looked like the 8312) which later quit on me (that was when I installed my 1st MSD unit).

Would it be a good idea during the winter to occasionally run the pump?

• Like 1

I think it's good to run the cars once a month with the radiator cap off so you can see coolant flowing clockwise over the radiator, that'd be towards the passenger's side on American Zs LOL.

You need to move the fuel AND coolant once in awhile. I try for every Sunday but realistically maybe 2 a month.

@HusseinHolland Thanks. I am going to either try to find a 3/8 u-shaped fuel hose for this or will use a U-shaped 3/8" aluminum joint (I have a brake line terminating kit). I do have a fuel pressure gauge inside and monitor my fuel pressure. Usually it is around 30-36 psi (idle, full throttle).

• 4 months later...

Hello guys,

My car has been sitting for 3 weeks. My E8312 fuel pump didn't work today. Cold winters apparently have nothing to do with my issues :-( There is a 12V directly at the pump's terminals. The clear plastic pre-filter was full of fuel since the tank is full and previously I lowered the pump/filter.

Rockauto is going to give me a refund (minus FedEx s&h fee to send the faulty unit back to them), since this is the 2nd unit that failed on me within a year. I have put about 40 miles on the car since the installation.

I am going to improvise and put the MSD 2225 unit there. 

I also have an old E8312 laying around, I found a youtube video of a guy who takes it apart and cleans it. Not sure if I want to go this route since the aluminum pump's canister edges need to be pried apart.

Any ideas why I am facing such bad luck with fuel pumps? Here in WI they sell high octane gas without ethanol. Should I put that instead of the regular 10% ethanol one?

Thanks!

I am using a Walbro pump since they have one that works with my modified fuel system. It hasn't given me any problems.

https://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl-series-universal-inline-fuel-pumps

Also, for your curved sections, I had a friend buy some Sidewinder hoses for the fuel pump I put in his car. They are nice since they are pre-formed with curves. They aren't cheap, but you don't have to mess with them, much. https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Molded-Fuel-Line-Rubber/dp/B07C8YTNPF

I just looked on Rockauto and the Airtex E8312 isn't even offered anymore.  Did you get an Airtex or a different 8312?  I had an Airtex for quite a while and it worked well.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1976,280z,2.8l+l6,1209226,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump,6256

Looks like Airtex might have discontinued the product.  Google shows Airtex E8312 on the Rockauto link but opens an Ultrapower page.  And the Airtex site doesn't show an E8312 at all.  Very weird.  Other Nissan products come up but not the E8312.  Bummer.  I'd probably buy the Rockauto Delphi before the MSD 225.  The old hot rod brand names have all been sold and stuck on to cheaper products.  It's probably just a GMB with an MSD sticker on it.

p.s. look at the HP ratings on the Walbo pumps.  You don't need a flow rate that supports 769 HP.

Edited by Zed Head