IGNORED

Still struggling with car at idle after 8 years

jalexquijano

I agree it doesn't seem to be oil fouled.

I still think it's ignition related. I would replace the whole ignition. Even if just to diagnose.

A leakdown test would be good too, because it would tend to rule out a compression or valve sealing issue

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I agree it doesn't seem to be oil fouled.

I still think it's ignition related. I would replace the whole ignition. Even if just to diagnose.

A leakdown test would be good too, because it would tend to rule out a compression or valve sealing issue

Yeah, I've still got that gut feeling that the problem lies between the rotor and the sparkplugs. We know all the components are quality products but the connections are what I'd like to confirm. That cheap inline spark tester in post #152 would be a definitive test.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Yeah, I've still got that gut feeling that the problem lies between the rotor and the sparkplugs. We know all the components are quality products but the connections are what I'd like to confirm. That cheap inline spark tester in post #152 would be a definitive test.

I would replace it all for expediency. Dizzy to plugs. Once you know it's ignition related you can locate the exact cause by using sections of the substituted system

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:37 AM, emccallum said:

After knowing you have good compression, I would be looking at ignition. I know you dont want to go there, but this simple tool may give some insight as to the offending cylinder.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20610-Inline-Spark-Tester/dp/B0002STSC6?th=1

I have that tool and another used remanufactured distributor. Last time i tried to install it the engine did not crank.

9 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

the engine did not crank.

Ofcourse you mean: the engine didn't start. cranking is when the engine turns with the help of the startermotor..  Or  "is i"  stupido? tell me i'm not offended:excl:

You checked the ignition by using the (very) old one that ones was replaced? it wasn't replaced for nothing..  Get yourself a complete set for the ignition, loan one or buy one, a loaned one of a perfect working car would be best as you now can be sure it is a good one! ( a old laurel or other 2400cc car can get you one..) maybe someone on your local market can help you.

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Ofcourse you mean: the engine didn't start. cranking is when the engine turns with the help of the startermotor..  Or  "is i"  stupido? tell me i'm not offended:excl:

You checked the ignition by using the (very) old one that ones was replaced? it wasn't replaced for nothing..  Get yourself a complete set for the ignition, loan one or buy one, a loaned one of a perfect working car would be best as you now can be sure it is a good one! ( a old laurel or other 2400cc car can get you one..) maybe someone on your local market can help you.

I found this old one remanufactured i bought on ebay 6 years ago 

20230311_084236.jpg

IMG-20230311-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20230311-WA0004.jpeg

12 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

I have that tool and another used remanufactured distributor. Last time i tried to install it the engine did not crank.

@jalexquijano Have you tried the spark tester recently without a different distributor? Plug the tester into each spark plug and see if there's a poor spark on #4.