IGNORED

Valve cover gasket seal 77 280z

MH77280Z

Hi Guys,

Need to make sure i do this right. Gasket was torn and i am putting a new one. So clean the valve cover side and apply high temp sealant? put the gasket on top and tighten. Nothing on the engine side.

Also, there are groves in the valve cover, do i have to apply the sealant all around the perimeter? (dumb Q i suppose!!!).

Better ask than mess up. Can you advise?

Ooooo not to throw a wrench in the process but I’ve done the gasket dry with no sealant and haven’t had issues yet. But @heyitsramahas an EXCELLENT point about taking it off easily. Mine is a PITA to align everytime I did the valves….might need to RTV next time 🙂

edit: just to clarify, not saying RTV is bad. But you shouldn’t have issues if you dont use RTV too! 

Edited by Barefootdan
  • Agree 1

I'm in the NO RTV club. I worked on a guy's 280ZX turbo about a year ago. I was setting the valve lash for him. After that I was removing bits of RTV from the camshaft. Heaven knows how much got down into oil passages. Before putting on a new valve cover gasket, I thoroughly cleaned the mating surface on the head and valve cover gasket and sprayed out the valve cover to get more little bits of RTV out.

Get a Nissan valve cover gasket. Line it up carefully. Don't over-torque the bolts when you put it on. Done.

Edited by SteveJ
  • Agree 2

Decided to NOT use any RTV and things look very good without it.

I read a lot of threads where people broke bolt heads and some just over tightening the screw in aluminum and damaging the threads, decided to just hand tight and keep it checked. Thats the safest way i think.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

aftermarket gasket I believe it was a felpro . I have a power coated valve cover with stainless steel bolts. they were about a 1/8" shorter then the factory bolts, that is why I stopped at 84" pounds on the torque. I did use black rtv gasket sealer and I only applied a very thin layer on the head and set the gasket on it with the bolts holding it in place until it got tacky. then I applied a very thin layer of the rtv on the cover and put it together . I did let it set over night before I started the motor.

Powder coated should not make a difference unless the lower face was coated. The Nissan gaskets available at your local dealer don’t require any adhesive., and can be used over and over again as long as they aren’t damaged. Any reason why you did not use the factory bolts? Grab a factory gasket, clean everything and reinstall. Just my 2 cents….

• Like 1

I was not saying anything about the power coated cover!  I meant that I wanted nice looking bolts and found allen head [stainless steel] nice looking bolts to go with the cover.  but they were about 1/8" shorter and I did not want the torque any higher than 84" pounds. I have no problem with leaks, so when it is time to adjust the valves I will change the gasket. I am sure the nissan gaskets are nice but do you think nissan really makes there own?