IGNORED

Flogged with spam calls, HELP!

siteunseen

Google shows me ads for stuff that I will never buy or for stuff that I have already bought.  Their "trap" will be pretty easy to escape.

The people making the telemarketing calls are just reading from a script.  Anyone who engages with them is probably making their day.  More reason to keep calling you back.  Your number gets shared as an active possibility.

If you use a credit card, a ton of personal information about you is collected and shared.  What you bought, where, and when.  Automated toll paying (EZ-Pass, whatever) they know where and when you hit a toll road.

Parking enforcement uses license plate readers.  Probably collecting and sharing location and time.

Streaming TV account - what you watch and when.

You can go on and on.  All they're trying to do is sell you things.  You'll now you're trapped when you start buying things you didn't really want.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, psdenno said:

I use a Google brand Android phone on T-Mobile's system.  T-Mobile has a built in spam blocker so all I see is a screen that says "Scam Likely".  I've never had a SPAM call get through on my cell phone but get plenty on my land line.

I have Simple Mobile which is the economy version of T-Mobile.  Must be why.  It works.  I hung on to my flip phone for as long as I could.  The smart phones are pretty handy though.  I even leave Bluetooth and Location turned on, I had one of those COVID monitoring apps on it for a while (I don't think it really worked).  

Reminds me though - WiFi on to connect to your home network?  Set to identify networks?  Every WiFi network you pass through when you leave home knows you were there.  Even with an iPhone.

44 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Google shows me ads for stuff that I will never buy or for stuff that I have already bought.  Their "trap" will be pretty easy to escape.

The people making the telemarketing calls are just reading from a script.  Anyone who engages with them is probably making their day.  More reason to keep calling you back.  Your number gets shared as an active possibility.

If you use a credit card, a ton of personal information about you is collected and shared.  What you bought, where, and when.  Automated toll paying (EZ-Pass, whatever) they know where and when you hit a toll road.

Parking enforcement uses license plate readers.  Probably collecting and sharing location and time.

Streaming TV account - what you watch and when.

You can go on and on.  All they're trying to do is sell you things.  You'll now you're trapped when you start buying things you didn't really want.

Like it, or not, it's the world we live in.  There's a lot to be said for having only a land line phone and staying home. 😎

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

I like to taunt the telemarketers, drives them nuts and they stop calling and take you off their lists. Favorite one is with the extended warranties, I always ask them for the VIN number of the car they are offering the warranty for. When they don't have that I ask for the colour, then the number of wheels etc. Always done with some crazy accent as I get louder and louder. Eventually I get their supervisor and then the fun really begins as they try to calm me down before hanging up. Never hear from them again. The debt collectors are even more fun, I always offer to send them money but need their SSN and bank details, for some reason they wont provide them and hang up. Always lightens up a boring day when I'm working on the computer.

I'll burn in hell for this but I told the car warranty girl I had multiple sclerosis and hadn't driven in over 20 years. She apologized then 3 days later same call. 

My phone started showing the area here lately like Wisconsin, Jamaica, Utah and so forth.

• Haha 1

I've been getting the same voicemails for about a month and always from different numbers.  The voicemails claim to be from ATT Direct TV and leave a call back number, but a search confirms they are not legit.  I get anywhere from 5 to 20 per day and then they will stop for a day or two and start back up.  I tried the setting in my Android phone  which did nothing and then I tried to use the Verizon spam blocker app.  It gives me a message that I cannot use that feature as my phone is tied to a corporate account.  Uhhh no, it's my personal phone...

• Sad 2

Same here Jeff. I've had the same Verizon number since 11/94. Since the covid pandemic it has gotten way worse. My pharmacist can't get American made drugs anymore either and I don't care what anybody says there is most definitely a difference.

I'm gonna quit paying taxes except my property tax. The federal government does nothing for me anymore so screw them. All they can do is put a tax lien on my house but I'm single with no kids so I don't care. I'm gonna leave it to the Humane society anyhow.

47 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

It gives me a message that I cannot use that feature as my phone is tied to a corporate account. 

Might be tied to the spam calls.  They see a corporate account.  Have you contacted Verizon about it?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1