IGNORED

Flogged with spam calls, HELP!

siteunseen

I'm getting 10 a day about car warranties for vehicles I've never owned. What is the solution to this? I know there's apps that supposedly help, could someone please advise me on the one that works?

I've got over 200 blocked numbers on my phone but that's a joke, they use the internet and keep on marching.

Thanks for any advice, this is driving "me nuts" as the pirate said about the ship's helm.

Cliff, thanks I would get about 2 calls a day. I do the same. Immediately block the number. I now never pick up a number I don’t recognize. Their latest tactic which began about a month ago is calls are coming in with names coming up with the number. There is a tell tale sign it’s a scam and that is the name will have all capital letters.
You may have answered calls where nobody was on the other side. I think these are probing calls from a computer to see if someone picks up. So when you get a call hit “Decline” never pick up unless you know the number or of it had capital letters in the name . Also if you have an Apple phone you can select to have all unknown numbers silenced. If you have a android phone, throw it in the trash…you are being constantly monitored and recorded just in case you didn’t know. That’s not BS. I can’t tell you how I know that but let’s say I have people in my circles that work for 3 letter organizations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There's a good app for android I just need to know what users prefer.

My nextdoor neighbor is a federal acronym too. He says it's a crippling problem across the board. I never answer them just share the number with my isp and it's always a scam using local area codes. I haven't heard a voicemail since my Dad died in January 2020. If you call me outsde my contact listings you should text but the damn scammers will figure that out soon enough.

I would vote for a transgender moo cow if they could stop this, and facebook. 

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

If you have a android phone, throw it in the trash…you are being constantly monitored and recorded just in case you didn’t know.

Why does that matter?  If they're doing that then they're certainly monitoring this forum.  When you say "they"
 you must mean some sort of computerized word searching.  There are way too many phones and conversations to think that actual people are doing the work.  There's probably a list of certain words known to be associated with certain activities.

I get almost zero spam marketing calls and my phone often says "Probable Spam" on many calls.  I don't even really know who's ID'ing the calls as spam.  It's an Android phone.  I'm on the Do Not Call registry too.  So the Feds know my number.  The FTC.

• Like 1

I use a Google brand Android phone on T-Mobile's system.  T-Mobile has a built in spam blocker so all I see is a screen that says "Scam Likely".  I've never had a SPAM call get through on my cell phone but get plenty on my land line.

“They” are Google.  You are Google’s product and “They” sell your data. Apple takes privacy more serious that Google.  Google uses you data to target you for advertisers, they sell you location and preferences for lots of money.  
Real world example that happened to me.  2 yrs ago I was at a mall with my wife, she wanted to buy Christmas gifts for out kids teachers and we walked into Bath and Body Works.   I hate that store and hadn’t been in there in 5+ yrs.  I was in the store 3 mins, told my wife,I’d meet her at a different place.  That evening I got an email from Bath and Body Works offering me a 20% coupon.  I had never received an email from them before.  Google, knew my email, my location and they know your phone number.  

• Like 1

Orwell was correct. "Big brother is watching".

Mark, it’s worse than that. These companies have tremendous power and Google is by far the worst player.

I recently stopped using the Google browser because it a massive data collection machine.

Cliff, you have a profile with these companies as we all do. This is one way they get access to your number

Android is way worse than Apple. Android phones are constantly collecting your data and uploading it to Google every couple minutes. Apple has allowed user to disable all tracking but if you use Safari well unfortunately it uses Google as it engine. Chrome…again a Google company. We don’t know the trap we are all walking into and there is no way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I'm getting 10 a day about car warranties for vehicles I've never owned. What is the solution to this? 

Cliff, I never answer a call from a number I don’t recognize.

If it is from someone I need to talk to, they can always leave a message.

Most of the scammers and spammers usually never leave a voicemail, and if they do it is a dead giveaway to their game.

15 hours ago, siteunseen said:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I like to taunt the telemarketers, drives them nuts and they stop calling and take you off their lists. Favorite one is with the extended warranties, I always ask them for the VIN number of the car they are offering the warranty for. When they don't have that I ask for the colour, then the number of wheels etc. Always done with some crazy accent as I get louder and louder. Eventually I get their supervisor and then the fun really begins as they try to calm me down before hanging up. Never hear from them again. The debt collectors are even more fun, I always offer to send them money but need their SSN and bank details, for some reason they wont provide them and hang up. Always lightens up a boring day when I'm working on the computer.

• Like 2