IGNORED

Putting in a replacement L-28

Av8ferg

7 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Wow that looks fantastic!!   :excl:

Was the installation process nerve wracking, or did it all go smooth?

Wasn’t that bad.  Took all of 45 mins.  I gave my son a short safety brief and it started something like this.  “This is a job you can lose a finger, so we’ll go slow and not force anything, make no assumptions and ask questions if confused….you need to pay attention”.   His eyes got big.  😳
I felt the install was easier than the extraction probably because of the lessons learned pulling it.   Like getting the load leveler set up right as well as the chain lengths correct.   The chains on the front attach point need to be about 1/4 the length of rear chain .   This is because  the load level can’t angle the engine sufficiently at full throw with equal chain lengths.   You can’t get the transmission snout low enough (into the tunnel) before you start running the oil pan into the engine front cross bar.   So getting the chain lengths right was critical.  Run the load leveler 70% toward the back of the engine so it can be lifted mostly level with unequal chains   Once over the bay now you can run the leveler forward and drop the snout.  I also couldn’t get the driveshaft installed at the same time.  I tried, but just couldn’t get the internal splines to line up.  I did try to rotate the engine with the crank bolt to move the splines but no dice, just couldn’t get it to go in more than 3/4”.   So I’ll have to pull the shaft out later from the back.   Getting the engine mount bolts aligned took a bit of finagling back and forth / up and down.   The transmission mount isn’t fully in.  After cleaning and painting the crossmember yesterday I discovered the bushing rubber was cracked on one side,   I wont replace it right now, easy to pull later.   The trans is still on a jack right now,   I know these bushing are no longer available and read that poly ones really transmit the vibrations to the cabin,   Will drive and see how it feels and cross that bridge later. 

• Like 1

Nice work Ferg!  I'm almost that far with my 280zx.. A leveler for taking out (and in) was a good buy i think. You can level the engine much more precise.
What is that big copper? bottle with the 2 copper tubes on the right inner fender for?  oil catch can??   i've never seen such thing..

Inside the blue circle is the fuel filter. (You already knew that I’m sure but wanted to make sure what your were asking about). BTW if anyone knows where to get the rubber insulator that is glued to the inside of the fuel filter bracket please let me know. Can’t find one.
I think your asking about what is is Inside the orange circle? That is the AIr Conditioner refrigerant bottle. I will be installing a catch can too. The deposits I had to remove from the pistons and valves were bad, thinking a catch can might ease that build up over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

if anyone knows where to get the rubber insulator that is glued to the inside of the fuel filter bracket please let me know. Can’t find one.

You can make one out of a inner tube of a car tire!  I used those on more than one occasion.

Ah.. it's from the aircon.  thats why i had never seen it..

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dutchzcarguy said:

You can make one out of a inner tube of a car tire!  I used those on more than one occasion.

Ah.. it's from the aircon.  thats why i had never seen it..

You are a faster typer than me!

But I literally just woke up like 15 minutes ago. It's raining here so long boring day.

Edited by siteunseen

Making progress today hooking everything up,   Had two questions.  1.  The alternator hook up.  There are three connections to be made.   One is easy because it had a connector that only goes one way, in one place.   The other wires, I’m not 100% sure.   I have a black wire and a red /white wire that also has a bullet connector as part of it.  I see these wires on the wiring diagram, but I don’t have all the labels on my Hitachi alternator.  “N - F” go to the obvious connector.  The FSM says there is an “A” and and “E”   I don’t see an “A” labeled on my alternator.  All I see is “N -F” and “Bat” and “E”.  The “E”  I assume is we’re  one the black wires I have go.  Then the Red/White wire to “ Bat”.   Where does the other black wire go?  See pics?

Also my wire for the oil pressure is a bullet connector but the oil pressure sensor has a two prong connection.  Is this the wrong connector or the wrong sensor?  

E5F80AF4-7D02-47A5-A7AE-8E0806D524F3.jpeg

B9665ACA-7C38-4AAE-A0FF-E9A0DB71E210.jpeg

C4D08E51-6A84-4335-86BB-9239E9A6BFFC.jpeg

Oops.  I had the wrong year.

Like yarb said, the cars with external regulators used a single prong oil pressure sensor.  Round.  You can put a flat terminal on that wire and just use the sensor terminal on yours.  The other terminal is a switch.

Don't know on the other wire.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1