IGNORED

Putting in a replacement L-28

Av8ferg

The key to easy FPR installation is getting the hose lengths just right.  Not too long.  And sliding them all the way to one side before slipping the FPR in, then sliding the hose back for final fit.

If that is a ZX rail and not a 78 Z rail you'll want to check cold start valve fit.  The ZX's were in a different spot.  Might have to do some bending.

12 hours ago, Zed Head said:

If that is a ZX rail and not a 78 Z rail you'll want to check cold start valve fit.  The ZX's were in a different spot.  Might have to do some bending

I'm not sure he has a 280z rail.. or the 280zx rail.   (As i'm busy with my 280zx engine, have some pics.)

Here the 280zx rail.. upper=1982-1983 (i think US version not sure) and lower is 1979 (euroversion.)

20210917_123913.jpg

Here the upper is the 1979 280zx rail... euro version..  i'm sure..

20210917_123942.jpg

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 1

Mine is from a 82’ ZX. Looks like the top one.

FPR is on, wasn’t too bad after reading Zed Heads advice. Easier that putting a pre-78 together. What the hell was Nissan thinking?

I realize putting things back together take less about 4x the time of pulling apart. The small things are slowing me down. Like getting the throttle link to the pedal connected. Tight spaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Final items to finish up this weekend before the e gone install on Monday. I had a question for the group. When I pulled my engine there was a heat wrap around the speedometer cable. It was pretty beat up. Not sure if that was stock. My speedometer cable also has a orange rubber sleeved around it under the wrap. Looked for replacements and found one on zcardepot but it’s diameter was too big. So I bought some heat shield tape and wrapped the cable. Any thoughts on this. Is it required, is the tape sufficient and where else could/should I use the 12” wrap I bought at zcardepot. Pic 1 is old wrap. Pic 2 is my tape job and Pic 3 is the new wrap I have left.

b65f8a5e4db2370d7b7f262fb3f83e56.jpg

9ff044dd22f3c125364b84839ebc6abf.jpg
a5959d45e4a6a1c05a99bfed7593de6e.jpg

Thanks Jim, I’ll do that. Got
to install the steering rod and a few other minor tasks. Should I re-install that metal Heat Shield that goes in the transmission tunnel
before putting the engine/trans in? I’m pretty sure I pulled it out prior to removing the engine and transmission so so be able to go back
In reverse order?

Okay, I think I’ve completed all the engine bay clean up and prep I need to do before the engine goes in. There is more work to do especially near the coil area but I think everything else can be completed after the engine goes in. See the below pics and let me know if anyone sees anything out of place or a missed. This has been a lot more more than I expected, definitely underestimated it.

ee598b3bf7bef0b194adfde997e41cb7.jpg

a63773c3517fca4c532c76fea1366f28.jpg

9ba6cda860226bbf05acf1c7b7eaa0d4.jpg

d875a2f2d0853c160b602d2c893d852e.jpg

• Like 4