IGNORED

What is the best carpet kit for my 1976 280z

carcrazyken

9 hours ago, carcrazyken said:

Looking for a complete carpet set for my 1976 280z  . Was hoping someone has had some recent experience that could help me in my search. Thanks Ken

RockAuto is another source.  Competitive prices and discount codes from time to time.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1976,280z,2.8l+l6,1209226,interior,flooring,1264

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1

download.png

Rockauto has ACC kits like just about everyone else so I'd guess they are the best simply by how many are selling them. If you go to rockauto.com you'll find the kit numbers from ACC. Google that but you won't find a better deal by a major supplier. I'd see if MSA has the same number too. Most likely...

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

Just so you know the original carpet kit in the car was loop pile carpet, the most you find are cut pile carpet.  If going for originality get the loop pile, I still have the original carpet in mine except the deck area and I did not know when I got my replacement, still looking to the loop pile, very hard to find.

Before ordering you might check with the supplier about the availability of the carpet. I ordered a rear carpet (loop style) from MSA in February and it is still on back order. I have called them on three occasions and they tell me the supplier has not been able to secure the products necessary to make delivery.

As Zup has mentioned in the past, check with Jim at Chester & Herod Auto Carpets in El Paso TX.  They have supplied his carpet and mine.  Been in business a very long time.  Have all the patterns for the Z cars.  You can even get the carpet in wool.   Another of the many helpful Jim's in the world....

For the OP's 280, I believe cut pile is oem, not loop like the 240's had.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, S30Driver said:

As Zup has mentioned in the past, check with Jim at Chester & Herod Auto Carpets in El Paso TX.  They have supplied his carpet and mine.  Been in business a very long time.  Have all the patterns for the Z cars.  You can even get the carpet in wool.   Another of the many helpful Jim's in the world....

For the OP's 280, I believe cut pile is oem, not loop like the 240's had.

I bought my set from Chester & Herod back when they were in California, the fit is very nice. I just have 2 issues with it,

1. The driver and passenger mats don't have slits in them to allow for the tabs on the floor to prevent them from sliding forward.  I ended up cutting the slits into them...no biggie, but would be nice if they slit it for you, and had the ends stitched over to prevent them from fraying out.

2. In the trunk mat some of the edges have started to fade... its been probably 2 years since i bought them. It might have been me, i don't remember leaving the mats in the sun for an extended period of time. The fade is isolated to the stitching along the edge, the mat itself has not changed color.

I would go with them again.

I bought my set from Chester & Herod back when they were in California, the fit is very nice. I just have 2 issues with it,
1. The driver and passenger mats don't have slits in them to allow for the tabs on the floor to prevent them from sliding forward.  I ended up cutting the slits into them...no biggie, but would be nice if they slit it for you, and had the ends stitched over to prevent them from fraying out.
2. In the trunk mat some of the edges have started to fade... its been probably 2 years since i bought them. It might have been me, i don't remember leaving the mats in the sun for an extended period of time. The fade is isolated to the stitching along the edge, the mat itself has not changed color.
I would go with them again.

Do you have any pics of the carpet kit you got from Chester and Herod. I bought the MSA loop carpet kit and it’s not good. I don’t plan on using it. I’ve debated taking the car to a pro and have them do it but if I could find a good one off the shelf I’d go that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Newark Auto carpet kit for my 260Z and I'm very pleased with it. It's loop and they had two different kits - one that's stock (only carpet that the factory 260 would have) and a full kit that adds carpet pieces for the trans tunnel, flat vertical panel behind the seats, and under the door sill (interior to the rocker panel) which all have vinyl in the factory cars.  I used the pieces for the door sill and behind the seats but I like the vinyl on the trans tunnel so I think I'll keep that carpet piece  in the box.

The fit of the Newark Auto kit is really good, they cut the padding perfectly to keep the carpet from moving around. I've been really impressed. The only negative is the floor pieces don't have slits cut and sewn for the two "keepers" at the seat end but they do come with snaps for the firewall. Even without the slits (I didn't bother to cut mine) the carpet stays in place.

• Agree 1

I like the idea of using vinyl on the trans tunnel.  I bought a nice diamond stitch vinyl material to do that with but here’s the question.  Would that partial carpet kit work you bought for the 260z workon a 280z?  Not sure if the floors boards and seating area are the same in the 260 and the 280.  I’ think the 240z is different but not sure about the 260.  Does anyone know?