IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

3 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Two BaT 260Z auctions ending in less than 90 minutes, one with no reserve. Both look to be pretty nice and they are still well under 20K. The silver one sold for 46K on BaT in 2017. Interesting that neither one had many comments or communication from the sellers.

image.png

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-datsun-260z-50/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-datsun-260z-51/

I've been watching the Zs going to auction, and selling on eBay an Craigslist for a little over a year now. When I got sent home for Covid quarrantine last year I spent the time catching up on the Z scene. The dramatic increase in value of these cars astounds me. I have a small collection of S30s, mostly parts cars that were free of very cheap, and guys are pestering me to sell them one or two for crazy money, $5,000 to $10,000.

For an duster incomplete rusted shell.

It is fascinating to watch the final bid results, and see the fluctuations. Also of note are the cars that come up a second or third time, and either sell for about the same, or less than previously.

Also interesting to see a car that is clearly in need of major work go for cubic dollars, and one that is a good to very good condition original fail to meet reserve.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Racer X said:

Also interesting to see a car that is clearly in need of major work go for cubic dollars, and one that is a good to very good condition original fail to meet reserve.

That's hope (maybe dream) vs reality.  I'd bet we've all spent way too much money and would love to have some back.🙏

Edited by ETI4K
Typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Racer X said:

I've been watching the Zs going to auction, and selling on eBay an Craigslist for a little over a year now. When I got sent home for Covid quarrantine last year I spent the time catching up on the Z scene. The dramatic increase in value of these cars astounds me. I have a small collection of S30s, mostly parts cars that were free of very cheap, and guys are pestering me to sell them one or two for crazy money, $5,000 to $10,000.

For an duster incomplete rusted shell.

It is fascinating to watch the final bid results, and see the fluctuations. Also of note are the cars that come up a second or third time, and either sell for about the same, or less than previously.

This happened in the VW world as well, particularly Oval window Beetles. Many have said because the cars are "rare", I say BS.

Rare means you cant find one without a true hunt. If you want an Oval window Beetle, you can have one heading to your address tomorrow, Ebay, CL, The Samba, etc.

S30's are not rare, so what gives. Once both my 70 and 73 are restored and on the road, I really have a hard time believing there is over 6 figures worth of cars in my garage.

I sold this 56 in a few minutes of hitting Enter on a VW site.

20151109_172351.jpg

Edited by DC871F
  • Like 2

The current (and growing) value of S30s is rather a unique formula of factors that you don't see in many other markets.

Being that they were relatively affordable when new, they are very relatable cars. If you have never owned one, chances are you knew someone who did. We see this frequently in the BaT chat when "non" Z enthusiasts happen to find one up for sale and can relate a story about one that was the same color, year, model etc. You don't see that kind of personal connection in the Porsche 356 world for instance. 

Until recently, they were "cheap" cars, and that's reflected in the grade of restorations you see in Zs that were done 15-20 years ago. I think Maaco could have used a S30 as their marketing platform. Seems like every Z I've came across as a project for sale had a horribly shot paint job, the whole "lipstick on a pig" appearance. Even though it was mass produced, a genuinely unrestored S30 these days is quite rare and why the lower mileage examples fetch a pretty penny. 

The part availability market probably has a contributing factor to the value of S30s as well. You can't simply swing by a Nissan dealer and grab a new dash, or pick up a catalog and order all new glass for a S30. I use to envy Mopar folks because they could basically build up an entire car with new parts, starting with nothing more than a VIN plate and title. Now, we see S30 values knocking the staple muscle cars out of the water. I feel the fact you have to work hard or pay $$$ to find those hot items for S30s (think D-hubcaps, pointy antenna, bumper overriders, correct hose clamps, correct exhaust system) that when you do have all the pieces to the puzzle, restore a car properly, and get it in front of an audience that can relate to the car, people start to do funny things with their checking accounts. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Racer X said:

Less than ten hours to go and it is idling along at $28,000.

Will there be a mad rush at the last minute?

Will it make the reserve?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-76/

It will be interesting to see where this one ends up. John may have stuck his foot in his mouth saying it wasn't a "Concours" restoration early on, I feel those who are after the lower VIN S1 Zs want just that. 

Seems like most of the cleanup work done on the Z was quality all the way up to the final details. Overspray on the rear hatch striker, the tail light trim needs some attention, floor mounted seat brackets need to be painted black, and correcting all of the saggy diamond vinyl to name some of the big hitters. 

He got picked apart early on for panel misalignments and minor corrections that should have been caught prior to taking photos. Hopefully this didn't degrade bidder confidence in the Z. 

• Like 1