IGNORED

Antenna switch (early '73 240z)

Dadsun

So, I'm still redoing my interior and hooking up the original radio. See pic. I've figured out the wiring for the radio, but it's missing the slide switch. But! There is this old toggle switch under the dash and it looks like according to some googling that it fits an even earlier model 240z. 

So, I'm confused. Looking for a slide switch that inserts into that radio slot in upper right. But also wondering why this other antenna switch is in my car. 

Build date was 10/72.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_20201018_151428.jpg

Edited by Dadsun

The switch in the upper rt. corner is the antenna switch from an early Z that had the AM radios like my early 71. You may be able to use that existing switch if you can source an early faceplate. I don'r recall when the change was made but it does seem a bit weird that you have an old switch in a 73.

Looks like the switch is missing. Correct? That radio looks like a late 71-72. I am guessing that someone changed the faceplate for some reason. I have two faceplates that would work with your toggle switch. Neither are show quality but are very useable.  I would be happy to send them for you to look at in trade for your faceplate or we can work out a price.

PM your address and I will get them out in the mail.

That's what's confusing. That free hanging switch in the picture mounts vertically into the faceplate of a 240z radio, but just not my radio. 

I bought this car from the original owner 6 months ago and he says this is the original radio. If so, yes, I'm just missing the antenna horizontal sliding switch. 

I will take off the faceplate and look, but I don't think the radio chassis will accommodate a spot for that big vertical switch. 

Edited by Dadsun

I think you can tell from the picture the OP posted that there is no room on the right side of that radio for the switch he has in his hand (which  is from a later 240 radio). That radio needs the switch it was supplied with but is now obviously broken off. (which is probably the reason some previous owner bought the switch he has and mounted it in the place he did...) It doesn't need a new face plate...

The early 240 came with the switch like @7tooZ shows in his radio face plate. It has a single white arrow up only. It also has a different mounting bracket. The early one had a larger plate and 4 holes.

The OP's switch is what I believe to be a 280 under dash mounted switch which had both arrows in white. 

He needs the smaller switch for that particular radio. Like this one. As to why it would be in your car is probably the original broke or went bad and the later 280 was substituted in.

sw.jpg

Edited by Terrapin Z
more info / spelling

I talked to the original owner today. He said he saw the old original antenna in his warehouse and will go see if the old up/down switch is with it. He is wondering if the guy who swapped out his original radio for a Casio tape player (blech) kept the old switch, and/or swapped in this newer 280z (?) switch.

Interesting bit of trivia, this business of an antenna switch.

The toggle immediately above was installed in my 280 in the center square vertical plate when the orig. owner replaced the radio with a stereo tape deck. The attached harness and plug were in the correct configuration to fit the body harness perfectly, indicating that it was a Factory piece to begin with. I have seen illustration of this toggle in a parts or service manual (one was for a 280 as I recall) that confirmed its origins.

The original console still showed the slot for the rocker as shown mounted further above, tho the replacement head unit took up the space it would have occupied, hence the toggle, presumably sourced from a Dealer.

When "reworking" the console head, I found the same rocker, complete with the correct harness and plug,  properly set into one of the large horizontal plates fitting the hole in front and to the side the shifter.

It would seem those rockers really got around.