IGNORED

31K Miles Series I 240Z Up for Auction on BaT - Over $100k on First Day!

lonetreesteve

41 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Might be a Vintage plate from 2002.  I can't imagine a car collector and auto dealer sticking fake tags on a license plate.  That would be absurd.  Any cop would be all over it as soon as they saw it on the road.

Here's today's.

https://dmvnv.com/platesclassic.htm

image.png

image.png

The one on the car for sale is embossed, and has a validation sticker, the classic from the DOL is flat, and has the state outline where the sticker should be. 

Hmmmmm . . . . . . . . . seems inconsistent, but not impossible.

I see the Nevada DOL page that lists the blue plate states:

Vintage

Vehicles 1961 and older may use replica plates in the same colors and design as the plates issued in the year of manufacture.
Please submit original plates if available to ensure the closest match.

So it is possible that someone had the plate made, then submitted it for use on the car.

But being from 70/71 the car isn't old enough.

I have year of manufacture on several of my Z's, and here in Washington the registration sticker is not issued or required when a collector car is permanently registered that way. Some guys will get an unused sticker for the year they are using the plate for, or use a reproduction.

One of the cars plates were too far gone to be restorable, but I found a guy who makes reproduction plates using the correct dies, reflective material and colors, so I'm saving for some from him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

The one on the car for sale is embossed, and has a validation sticker, the classic from the DOL is flat, and has the state outline where the sticker should be. 

Edit - Flat plates are actually a thing on the interweb.  http://www.andrewturnbull.net/plates/flat.html

If I read the BAT copy right it says that the car was licensed in Nevada in either 2002 when Malamut got it or in 2017 when the current owner got it.

The world of custom license plates has turned in to a huge business for the states.  Look at all of the choices on just the Nevada web site.  They change them up all the time to keep the market happy.  You can get your favorite university, football team, environmental cause...almost anything that you can think of.  So It would not be a surprise if even last year's plate is different from the 2020 choice.

As far as embossing versus flat - flat plates are cheaper to make.  All of the plates in my part of the country have been flat for several years.  

Wob took the car for a drive on public roads and he is a professional car salesman.  I'm not seeing even a hint that somebody put fake plates on the car, with fake tags.  It would just be too dumb. No offense.

Beside that, it doesn't really have anything to do with selling the car.  Nothing to do with being a 1971 240Z.  It would be pointless.

Edited by Zed Head

I found something on the wheels and caps.  There's a lot of info in those pictures.  Pierre did it in 2017.  Picture #324.

Also noticed that it still had the CA license plates, 615 DLK.  The current owner must live in Nevada!  

Edit 4:47 pm  - @lonetreesteve I just saw your comments on the BAT listing about the wheel caps.  Why would Pierre "restore two caps" one way and two another way?  Really looks more like he bought two from one place and either restored or bought two others from another place.  Either didn't notice the difference or didn't say anything about it.  Who knows.  Just odd.  246 has done quite a bit on ID'ing the eBay repro caps and how they're being passed off as real. @240260280

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I found something on the wheels and caps.  There's a lot of info in those pictures.  Pierre did it in 2017.  Picture #324.

Also noticed that it still had the CA license plates, 615 DLK.  The current owner must live in Nevada!  

Edit 4:47 pm  - @lonetreesteve I just saw your comments on the BAT listing about the wheel caps.  Why would Pierre "restore two caps" one way and two another way?  Really looks more like he bought two from one place and either restored or bought two others from another place.  Either didn't notice the difference or didn't say anything about it.  Who knows.  Just odd.  246 has done quite a bit on ID'ing the eBay repro caps and how they're being passed off as real. @240260280

image.png

I really didn't read all the details about this car and never took the time to look at all the pictures, including the picture of Pierre's sales receipt above. All I know is that I got tired of all the posts about the hubcaps and that 2 of them were different than the other 2 and if they were fakes.  I just stated that the 2 hubcaps in question looked real to me and that they were just painted incorrectly.  That's all.  I assume that the set of 4 came probably came from 2 different sources, which would explain the differences. 

35 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

It must be the shiny surface revealing it.  I never saw this before?

Most likely the shiny stuff makes it more noticeable.

I remember when tires first started showing up like that, back in the early 1980’s. Tire dressing (Armor All) really makes it stand out. Lots of drivers freaking out about it. The tire manufacturers told everyone not to be concerned about it.