IGNORED

Rear Wheel Cylinder Question

texasz

The thread doesn't really directly answer the question of "will 1972 (cheap) wheel cylinders work on a 71 (expensive) car?"  I think that that's the real question, and if I process the responses it seems that the answer is yes.

Are you just trying to get your car back on the road, inexpensively, or are you doing a restoration?  You asked about value but value depends on what the goal is.  And you're asking about what will "work" but it's still not clear if you're okay with bending the lines.

These should work, below, if you bend the lines, I think.  And you can buy prefitted line at the store so you don't have to flare your own.  Sometimes we get so caught up in the internet we forget about the parts store down the road.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/brake-systems-16456/brake-hydraulics-16513/wheel-cylinder-11318/5020ef8206ed/1972/nissan/240z?q=wheel+cylinder

image.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The thread doesn't really directly answer the question of "will 1972 (cheap) wheel cylinders work on a 71 (expensive) car?"  I think that that's the real question, and if I process the responses it seems that the answer is yes.

Are you just trying to get your car back on the road, inexpensively, or are you doing a restoration?  You asked about value but value depends on what the goal is.  And you're asking about what will "work" but it's still not clear if you're okay with bending the lines.

These should work, below, if you bend the lines, I think.  And you can buy prefitted line at the store so you don't have to flare your own.  Sometimes we get so caught up in the internet we forget about the parts store down the road.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/brake-systems-16456/brake-hydraulics-16513/wheel-cylinder-11318/5020ef8206ed/1972/nissan/240z?q=wheel+cylinder

Fair questions and excellent points @Zed Head.  To clarify, I'm alright with these not being "original" though I do not want it to be janky and forced to work because I'm being cheap (I hope that makes sense).  Nor would I want it to be a safety issue because it is not the right (functionally)  part.

One thing that may impact some of the discussion on the lines is that I've been planning on installing some braided steel hoses.  I'm not sure if that replaces the hard lines you are talking about or not.  Does anyone know this?

The two parts you listed have nearly the exact same part number as what jfa.series1 listed...W96879 vs WC96879 and W96878 vs WC96879.

I think that if you did a poll, asking who would just buy the parts store cylinders and make them work, versus the extra $200 per side to be 100% correct, most of us would say head to OReilly and save.  Worst case, you get a leaker but get it replaced for free.

I used the ones from o'Reillys.

The SS hoses won't have any effect on wheel cylinders. They are for connecting the hardlines to each other. One from up front under the length of the car to the ones of the wheel assembly. They are for the movement of the strut's up and down. @w3wilkes used the cheaper ones with good outcome on his '71 by bending the short hardline at the wheel.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Not many replies on this , but @siteunseen says the aftermarket works well? 
Have a hard time convincing myself to pull the trigger on the OEM units - EVEN when it’s not my money and my car . I have a customer that needs cylinders for his 2/72 . He’s asking my opinion on whether it’s worth it . I love OEM stuff because it usually is much better , but 400$ better for a set - ouch . I should just look away and not worry about it , but thinking that could by him a cam grind and parts . Again , what good is speed if you can’t slow down well enough . Ugh

• Like 1

I used the newer style and haven't had any issues after about 4 years now? I would do it again in a heartbeat. Steve, you'll get them on way quicker than me. I had to do some figuring out. :rolleyes:

Switching the short hard lines from side to side cut down on the bending needed. I do remember that.

Edited by siteunseen

Thanks for any pointers . I could have used them on the last 71 I did . I also make the mistake of getting SS lines which are about impossible to bend . 
I think I’ll recommend the aftermarket ones . The customer is already upgrading the front brakes so maybe save a few bucks on the rears 

• Like 1