IGNORED

Just Another Damned Z Car Project Thread

conedodger

Ok, I'm back after battling Covid for a couple days. Today's job was power brake boosters. As previously mentioned, I sent three power brake boosters out to Power Brake Exchange last week and paid for them on Wednesday. All I can say is WTF! They arrived Thursday! They are quite beautiful and I am sure technically perfect. There was one mistake though... I asked that the 'best' of the two 280ZX calipers be powder coated in the original black, which they know per Mike the guy I spoke to on the phone. They powder coated all three so the ones I sell, will be nicer, but more money... Oh well! 

The smaller one is of course the 240Z PBB from my 73 which has been beautifully restored. The other is one of the two 280ZX boosters which has been restored. I didn't take pictures of the other 280ZX one so I can leave it packed in its box for selling it. 

For those of you who started following this thread here and haven't been reading along from the beginning, the 280ZX booster is larger to accommodate the heavier car, but in this case, I'm basically doubling my horsepower with the Rebello stroker so I need more brakes. These will be T3 Willwood kits front and rear and a Willwood master cylinder. The larger booster gives you more assist and makes up (I expect) for the heavy pedal caused by the 1" MC. I will put the two spare rebuilt PBB in the Classified forum as soon as I get around to it...

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

• Like 1

Whenever you do a project like we all do, you have a ton of people you owe thanks to. Especially a forum like this where you ask a question and get an answer you can use and count on. Not just an opinion. In my case, I have watched every one of the YouTube videos that were produced by Francisco Guiterrez three times! @Panchosgarage on YouTube. I found out about this tool from his videos. It is how you set the MC plunger depth so you don't have a long pedal. Gracias Francisco. I'd bet you're here on ClassicZ but I don't know which of us fools you are! 

IMG_1580.jpg

• Like 2

So, I got the brake booster set today using the tool above. It was only out about 2mm but the spec is .005 so... I had to call Power Brake Exchange to find out how to get the shaft to adjust as it wouldn't move at all. Mike at PBE told me to grab the serrated wheel with a vise grip and turn the 7mm nut in or out depending on which was you need to adjust. Well, that worked! 

So next on the list too get this thing in the engine compartment is to clean up the front and rear spacers. The front one is vapor blasted and clear coated, the rear has some kind of tenacious sealer on it. They originally had a gasket but Mike at PBE said most cars are just mounted metal to metal. I will put some clear silicone on it to keep water out of the interior. 

Looks pretty good! 

IMG_1582.jpg

Just now, conedodger said:

@SteveJ how does this wire in? Does it just replace the flasher? Do I need more beer? How many are needed?

They replace the old 2-prong round can flashers that you are used to seeing.  No wiring, no fuss, no muss, no stress.

You need two. One for the turn signal circuit and one for the hazard light circuit.

• Like 1