IGNORED

Just Another Damned Z Car Project Thread

conedodger

I'm going to use this thread to document the progress on installing my Rebello 3.0 motor and other projects on my '73 240Z US model that I have owned for 40 years. Most of the suspension and engine modifications were done in the '70's by the original owner, the Thompson family in Northern California. 

I have been very slow to get this motor in as I have too many cars, two of which are projects and one is a finished project. Not to mention, I have some learn as I go talent and some that I learned as a teenager from my father and uncles. My Dad was an AT&T exec, but my uncles Donny and Sonny owned gas stations and a wrecking yard. I learned as much as I could from Dad and my uncles and I suppose I have my love of cars as more than just transportation to thank them for. 

As I said, I have owned this car since 1980. I have owned other Z cars, but this was the first. The guy I bought it from, apparently had an ultimatum from his wife to get rid of it or get divorced. I tried to warn him that no matter what you do in that situation, you will be getting a divorce. I paid and drove home with a crap load of spares (these had to go as well) and the triple Webers stinking of gas to high heaven! Since then, Pricilla as I call her has been garaged and polished like crazy! A friend who is a member here and has a shop has done some work on Pricilla and it was him that pointed out that the car is basically a rolling advertisement for the old Datsun Competition Catalog. It's all there but the brakes! 

So follow along if you're interested and I will ask advice when I need it. 

Today, I did something really boring but necessary. I chased threads in the cylinder head. It is an E31 head that was ported and polished in the '70's by BC Gerolomy. Those of you who know your Datsun history will know who that is as he did the heads for the first cars that raced in the country. It already had big valves so I saved some money at Rebello because all they had to do was clean it up. 

IMG_1292.jpg

Edited by conedodger

Here is the engine. As I said above, Rebello 3.0. The cam is 27C-9, which I don’t know what that means in terms of lift and duration but I had asked Dave for a EFI street motor with some grunt. The compression is 10.2:1 so that cam will have to bleed off some compression for pump gas. The car will use a Haltech Elite 2500 for brains so you know I follow Duffy Mahoney every time he posts! 

F7459E26-9992-4EDD-B72B-D02AC3CB2C24.jpeg

• Like 2

I should have called this project a resto-mod. It always irks me when people say "I just restored it" and then proceed to list all of the modifications they've done. While this car has been a preservation car while I've owned it, there were a ton of mods done by the original owner. 

Here is the trigger wheel that will tell the coils what to do... It's an Austin Hoke product.

IMG_0264.jpg

11 hours ago, conedodger said:

On the suggestion of others, I got the ZCarDepot exhaust kit which has stainless steel studs with 4mm allen head in the end so I can seat them positively. I also used Threadlocker Blue Gel to hold them without a death grip.

IMG_1294.jpg

If you don't mind measuring, what is the length of those studs, and the protrusion from the head?

I'm not sure anyone has noticed this yet, but the head had to be modified for injectors. Unlike Duffy, I am using a stock(ish) '75 intake manifold that has been extrudehoned. Otherwise, the only way to use EFI would  be to do as Duffy did and use ITB's. I know there is more power to be had with the ITB's and someday, if Duffy can make them work really politely, I might take that leap. I want my wife to ride in the car and maybe even drive it. It is the only car I own that I have found her sitting in and 'fake driving.' She said, "I want to drive this one!" That is high praise for the Datsun because I have owned perfect 911's, 914-6, Delorean, Ferrari 308GTB, and a 944 Turbo. Pricilla has a completely restored red factory interior and I attribute her fondness for this car to the newness of the cabin. (She did like the Delorean and Ferrari).

So given that I'm using a stockish set up, I had Rebello machine the head for injectors.

IMG_1295.jpg

• Like 1

I had once planned on using Megasquirt and did tons of research on sensors on the forums. This is a Bosch MAF/IAT and a GM coolant temperature sensor. The MAF/IAT sensor comes off a European BMW and it's inlet/outlet is 70mm. If you're familiar with injector selection, this engine matches nicely to the Bosch 'Green Giant' injector which is what I will be using. Haltech Elite 2500 has an internal MAP and I am not sure if I will use something external or just run a line to the ECU. I have heard of people using both but I'm not sure why or what the benefit would be.

IMG_1296.jpg