IGNORED

Where to locate a fuel pump inertia kill switch

Jeff Berk

After struggling with the double relay electric fuel safety wiring on my '74, I'm wiring power to my fuel pump around the relays and going with an inertia kill switch I purchased from RockAuto (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=43206&cc=1209181&jsn=4). From the directions, it seems that the switch triggering mechanism is sensitive to where it's mounted. Put it in the wrong place and it will trigger if you slam the door or go over a rough road. 

If you've installed an inertia switch, where have you placed it?

On 6/19/2020 at 7:42 AM, Jeff Berk said:

... From the directions, it seems that the switch triggering mechanism is sensitive to where it's mounted. Put it in the wrong place and it will trigger if you slam the door or go over a rough road. 

If you've installed an inertia switch, where have you placed it?

I had to mount one in a 240Z. The switch seemed fairly sensitive to tripping when you smacked it in your hand so I was worried about that very thing. I mounted it on the passenger side near the relay panel - just in front of the passenger door. Once mounted, slamming the door did not trip the switch, nor did driving over bumps or extremely hard braking. The owner has been driving the car regularly for the past several weeks and hasn't had any false trips. I'd certainly use one again anytime an electric fuel pump is needed requiring a safety (not controlled by an ECU or other safety mechanism). I think the switch could be mounted to any sheet metal surface on the interior of the car.

6 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I put mine down on the driver footwell, this one is the Ford switch, it doesn't trip unless there is a major upset.  I have only triggered it once going over some train tracks driving way too fast.

IMG_0057.JPG

Is that a reset button on top?

Looks like the one on my Mom's Grand Marquis, red button on top. Her car wouldn't crank one night so she just left it and called a friend for a ride home THEN called me. I go and push the button, cranked the car and slammed the trunk so hard it tripped it again. I was a little mad. :wub:

To add my experience with her Ford's button, when it's tripps you can see the red button up top flush with the metal body. When it's working it stays down. I'm sure it's a good, plentiful from a junkyard, switch especially if Grannyknot has one.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used this exact same switch that the OP posted.  I ended up mounting it on the inside of the glove box so it could not be seen and would also provide a convenient way of resetting it from inside the car in the event of it tripping.  I've been running it this way for quite a number of years and have never had an issue.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

my 74 I ran the fuel pump wire through the cabin on the passenger side and I mounted the switch on the riser wall behind the passenger seat next to the corner .the instructions say to mount next to 2 body panels . I believe that's is for a stronger attachment with less shock for sensitive tripping.