IGNORED

The positives of quarantine

grannyknot

Did the aluminum spider fracture from vibration or was there actually corrosion going on?  Reason I ask is that picture #3 appears to show another part of the drum drivetrain and there doesn't seem to be much doubt that that mount has failed because of corrosion.  Did its failure then lead to stress fracturing of the spider?

On a good note, I've been doing a lot of things around the house as well.  Finally started working on the new window casings in our guest room.  I'd start putting down tile for our guest shower, but, I have no idea how to do a shower pan the correct way.  I'm also doing a lot of work on our boat -- replacing batteries and the water heater.  Next I'll see if I can find a mount for the JDM Nismo fuel pump on my Z.  Those suckers are hard to find!

I’m beginning to worry about the length of the shutdown, and how many yard based chores the royal “we” are starting to think about.

Expanding the garden, moving a garden shed full of parts (someone please come buy some parts!) etc etc etc.....

I’m definitely going to have a major yard sale of Datsun parts this spring/summer. Motivated seller, let me tell you....

1 hour ago, zKars said:

I’m definitely going to have a major yard sale of Datsun parts this spring/summer.

Maybe when June rolls around and your wife's honey-do list has finally been cleared and we're still locked down, you could spend some quality time inventorying your unwanted parts and putting them up for sale here on the CZCC virtual 'yard'.  Might raise enough cash to pay for that that epoxy floor coating you've been promising yourself for the garage.  Or maybe some of that cool, rich-guy modular flooring laid down in a chequered flag pattern?  Or a giant 'Z'.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 8:47 AM, grannyknot said:

Why would they make that piece out of cast aluminum? It's always soaked in water.

My annotations did not make it to the post.

The crappy Samsung design has a white metal spider connected to a stainless steel drum in a damp environment spinning in a huge magnetic field. You could not have better engineered a galvanic corrosion machine..... well I guess the rear trailing arms of the Nissan products from ~ 2008 come close.

Bottom line is that it WAS a great washer and looks great from the outside but the inside has rotted.

We just ordered a MADE IN USA SPEED QUEEN with 7 year warranty and industrial components. Now the fun for Janet and I to remove the dryer that is on top of the washer. ?   Always fun to be had!

21 hours ago, Mike said:

Ugh, I think my washer is doing the same thing.  I heard it's a big problem with the Samsung or LG brands...  

Here is what lead to this.

The washer reported a nd code for no drain.   I slid it out and cleaned out the pump (on the back).

We ran a load and during the spin cycle, the washer started knocking mid-way. We went to have a look and smoke like artificial fog (think rock concert) started coming out of the drum.  A strange rubber smell but no burning smell.  Upon inspection, the drum was off-centre and rubbing on the front seal.  The smoke was from wet abrasion of the seal.  I have not opened it yet, but it is clear the spider has finally broken after ~ 9 years.

1 hour ago, Namerow said:

What was the rusted out mount shown in the #3 picture in your original post? 

~2008 Nissan suspension from internet.... pick any vehicle.  They had a severe dissimilar metal corrosion here due to salt on roads.  My Zclub buddy finished 2nd in a Nissan Mechanic competition held in Japan many years ago. He sees it all. He warned us about this. He fixes up and flips cars. Some of the corrosion was warrantied.

• Like 1

So, during a global pandemic you are forced to learn new things either by necessity or because you now have time to learn.  Here are things I've leaned.

- I gave myself my first haircut after 50 years of paying someone else to do it, it came out great.  No more barbers required. 

- my son and I learned to bake bread.  Made out first two loaves. He was like..."this is how bread is made..cool"

-I  consider myself almost an expert now on Engineered Hardwood flooring.  You need help, ask me.  

- rebuilt 2 Hitachi distributors.  I can do it in my sleep now.  

Now I'm not in Captain Obvious' league making who's making a Pulsed Doppler Radar device to counter police radars and a new Flux Capacitor for his time machine but hey I'm doing something productive.  

That's really funny! The bread making thing seems to be happening everywhere, including here. So far, we're pretty good at ciabatta (my favorite), and last night we took our third attempt at making tortillas. The ciabatta is third generation development and is now excellent and the tortillas need maybe one or two more notches up and will rival the best tortillas we've purchased at the store.

I say "we", but it's the Royal We. I can only take credit for forming and cooking the tortillas. And of course, the role of quality control and product evaluation.

The sourdough starter has been growing on the counter for about a week now? Hope it tastes better than it smells...

My son has been making 2 doz. peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies from scratch every third day for a couple weeks now, I'm starting to put on next years winter weight already.   Both he and I love the burnt ones so he deliberately leaves them in an extra few min.  These were baked this morning and I'm already thinking were going to run out.

IMG_0767.JPG

• Like 1