IGNORED

280z Head Disassembly?

moozieman

20 hours ago, moozieman said:

great! ill keep an eye out for that. Headed over to the garage tonight

Okay. Completely different question now. I was able to get it running pretty steadily with the new gasket and everything, but it started a new issue... of course. The distributor started making a grinding noise and was rattling a bit as well. Sometimes the car doesn’t even turn over. It’ll start grinding and then stall. Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, moozieman said:

Okay. Completely different question now. I was able to get it running pretty steadily with the new gasket and everything, but it started a new issue... of course. The distributor started making a grinding noise and was rattling a bit as well. Sometimes the car doesn’t even turn over. It’ll start grinding and then stall. Any ideas?

It didn’t start doing it until after running for a while, not sure if that’s a coincidence or not.

Sounds like a bad distributor but that's just too easy to say. :victorious:

Here's my "go to" on everything 280.  This is a ZX dizzy but they're pretty much the same except for the matchbox ignition module.  You could read over it and maybe something will light that bulb in your head.  I know I've found loose ball bearings in mine when I first bought it.  It may be as simple as the reluctor being out of spec?

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributorrebuild/index.html

Thank you Phillip for putting this together!  It's been a big help to a lot of us.  @240260280

61.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Take the cap off?  Look?

Looked into it a little. Can’t figure it out. There’s no consistency to the fails either. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn’t. Mainly when I rev or attempt to put it into gear. Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, moozieman said:

just started a new thread with the exact issue and photos.

I saw it.  But they are the wrong photos.  You need this one without the rotor.  Closeup.  to see if the shaft has play.

image.png