IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

34 minutes ago, christoffel said:

@HS30-H  On BAT people don't take you serious when you are not from the US. I guess this L4steppre never took a 240 apart.  Because than he would know that drilling holes in doorcards and doors and putting in screws without prefab the location, wasn't the way the Nissan Factory operated.  

Personally speaking, I would not be surprised by anything that Nissan/Nissan Shatai (or any of their family of companies and suppliers) did in the early days of production, and/or in the switchover to superseded parts and new models. The principle of Occam's razor usually applies. I'm not saying it was total chaos, but those were heady days. We are well aware that there was always a certain amount of fettling going on, and we have seen evidence of repaired/re-finished (presumably initially rejected as substandard, then rectified and re-introduced to the parts bins) so I would never say never.

The BaT universe for a car like this is - naturally - biased towards the North American viewpoint. But these are Japanese cars, and it's almost like some of those people forget that. The memories of somebody who sold these cars when they were new, or who has owned fifty of the same type, are always of interest - but I'd rather speak to somebody who was working on the production line. Or better still, many people who were working on the production line...

A perfect example of what I'm talking about has just popped up on that BaT auction:

Jeff Segan has just made comment on the rear bumper forward-edge rubbers, after somebody queried their absence on this car. He might need to tread carefully with a "not used on 1970 240Zs" type statement. It's a little like running with scissors...

After all, what does "1970 240Z" mean. What month? What variant (HLS30U/N/V? HS30U? HLS30? How about Aus and NZ?)? You'll end up dancing on a pin.

The E4100 rear bumper forward end 'base' blocks were seen - for example - on the SLE 0630-911027-U factory sales flyer in 1969 (you know, the red car without a clock, radio or antenna, and with cut-and-pasted emblems) and were a feature on Japanese market cars from the first days of deliveries. Applied somewhat haphazardly in Export market cars, they are perhaps a lesson for us in treating sales brochures as reference points and - indeed - any one of these cars with one-size-fits-all ideas about content and conformity. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Deflecting a discussion is a well known tactic.  Please take the advice as helpful.

Like I haven't been considering it for the last 15 years I've been building it... LOL

15 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

I'm working on a tribute to the 1969 blue 240z at the Tokyo Motor Show. I considered the words: replicas, copy, etc. but tribute is the only accurate word.  I was happy that we are both in the same boat but your 432R tribute is a far more challenging effort than mine.

A philosophically pragmatic 'tribute' I presume. Unless you have period interior and engine bay shots...? We live in hope.  

Final touch will be the 'Fairlady Z Export version' plate. Has to be done... ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Do it 8 more times and it gets in the realm of the 432-R ?

Yes, but it's not an R. A nice rare car but still a 240z. Didn't take as long as I thought it would to get to six figure cars. I think before too long you will see less rare cars appreciate towards this level.

35 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Yes, but it's not an R. A nice rare car but still a 240z. Didn't take as long as I thought it would to get to six figure cars. I think before too long you will see less rare cars appreciate towards this level.

Yes, the rarity of the R brings the $$$ so it is not apples to apples. However, such a low mileage Z is also very rare so we will soon see its value.

Next on deck, it will be interesting to see what a made-in-69 HLS30 in good condition  will bring.

It is great to see all values rising!

45 minutes ago, Patcon said:

432-R is likely going to stay premium for years to come, but current bid on this low miles, timewarp condition HLS30U is way below what even an average 432 will command, and roughly around what an average 240ZG will change hands for.

HLS30U values have been lagging behind for years.

• Like 1